Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, looking for a little advice. I'm torn between nextcast wa45, 55, delta II 7/8 or the fall favorites. What is everyone's favorite line for mid length rods? Thanks.

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
All of those lines have their fans. Best to try a few to see what you like. In the mid-length rod class, my own preferences are:

For pure floating work, in a head system Beulah Aero. I think it has a more delicate turnover and throws very tight loops.

In a head system, for tips, NextCast WA 45 or 55. A bit more authoritative taper for driving tips.

In an integrated line Carron 55 8/9 would be my pick.

I am not a fan of the Delta. Personal thing. It's not a bad line, it's a perfectly reasonable line, I just don't think it's a great line.

I reserve the right to change my opinions next month.

So if you've already narrowed to between the Delta and one of the NextCast lines, definitely NextCast. WA vs FF is purely a question of whether you might want to use sinktips. Length choice, 45 vs 55, is a function of your skill level and whether you'd rather have a little more distance potential and less stripping, or a slightly shorter head for tighter quarters. Both are fine on a 13'6" rod. Or you can just buy both and swap them around depending on conditions, which is what I do.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
CND GPS 6/7 or 7/8 if you can find one. Good for dryline work and great for tips. Finding one is the difficulty. No longer commercially available.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hey guys, looking for a little advice. I'm torn between nextcast wa45, 55, delta II 7/8 or the fall favorites. What is everyone's favorite line for mid length rods? Thanks.
Btw, why the swap to mid belly lines? Assuming that your choosing WA over FF because your planning to use it with a sink tip.

One of the things I love about the 7136 One is that it's got a fast action (soft tip) which makes for one of the best Scandi rods out there right now. Unfortunately it's not the easiest to lift and cast longer belly lines with sink tip. Of the options you presented, the WA45 6/7 would be the way to go if you've got your heart dead set on it. Not that it's can't be done, but the WA55 6/7 won't be as pleasant to cast all day long with sink tips (Nextcast lines seem to be heavier so go 6/7 instead of 7/8 for your rod). Heck maybe even look at the WA40 which is 38ft @ 510grain, it's only 4ft shorter than the WA45. If dual floater and sink tip work is your intent, then it might be best to source a rod that is better suited for such work (the reason why I sold my 7136 One).

Else if floaters are your main objective, then both the 45 and the 55 will work. Just save yourself some $ and get the FF version.

PS. Don't have any personal experiences with the Delta 2s but fwiw the Nextcast lines out perform the older Delta IMHO.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Vector XL 6/7 *Dry line*
Nextcast WA 45 *Tips*

GPS if you want to hunt for it...... Great line

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I have tons skagits and scandis head, I'm trying to get away from so much stripping. Also my fly choices tend to get smaller and smaller. I don't do much with intruders anymore most of my success is with hooks around size 3 and 1.5. That's kinda where I'm at right now. Thanks again everyone.

·
loco alto!
3,072 Posts
depends on the fishing ...

a 13'6" could go 45' or 55' for me, depending on primary use. Floating lines, in tight cover the 45', on open water the 55', or longer if wanting to cast. With tips, I choose the 45' regardless of setting, for an easier lift into the single spey. In my limited experience with the Sage 7136 ONE, both the 6/7 and 7/8 work depending on the preferred load.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there a big difference in casting ability between the rio short head spey and the WA45? What I mean is will I be limited in what I can chuck with the rio?

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,497 Posts
You know what they say about opinions. Unless you have cast all the options and preferably on your specific rod, the opinion is at best slanted.

I've never cast your rod model nor a number of the mid-belly options out there. I would say that I find a 60-65' belly a manageable and enjoyable length for a 13' rod. For years I have fished a 6/7 GPS on a 1307-3 T&T for both dry and tip fishing. For floating line work, it fishes beautifully using mostly a single Spey or spiral roll cast. For tips, usually 15' Rio tips, the line ends up 5' shorter given that CND lines are looped at 20'. Still, it is a pleasure to fish all day using snap-T and double Spey casts primarily.

While I think the GPS are the best fishing lines I have ever cast, the Nextcast are not far behind. I used to be a long Delta fan but both the others listed above treat me much better. The only lines I would put in their class would be the Carron lines. I have yet to cast the Gaelforce or Ballistic Vector lines but have heard good things about them, particularly for dry line work.

If you can find some of these lines to try yourself, you will get the best idea of what works for your rod, your style and your skill set.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again everyone. Unfortunately living way out here in New Jersey it is not easy to test these lines before purchasing. I think I've narrowed it down the WA55 7/8? Would that be too much? It's listed at 580 grns @ 53'.

·
Registered
226 Posts
lines

Doing the same as you but a different stick TFO DC 14' 6/7 I found the 6/7 Vector 440 gr a bit light and 7/8 500 gr about right. A work in progress as I am still learning all the casts.

Grant

·
loco alto!
3,072 Posts
6/7 in both 45' and 55' is my blanket recommendation on the 7136 ONE ... for tinkerers who like lines heavy, get the 7/8 and trim the rear 8" (up to 2-3') until perfectly dialed

·
Registered
889 Posts
6/7 in both 45' and 55' is my blanket recommendation on the 7136 ONE ... for tinkerers who like lines heavy, get the 7/8 and trim the rear 8" (up to 2-3') until perfectly dialed
BEST way to get the line you want. Start out one heavy and work it back...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts