Spey Pages banner

Michael Evans Arrowhead Salmon Twin Line

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Dana 
#1 ·
I saw Michael's latest videos over the weekend and am interested in his current lines. I've ordered one. Has anyone fished these lines?

#2 ·
Dana, Yes I have fished with the Michael Evans line. In my opinion both the sinking lines are excellent. Good shooting qualities and the head lenght is ample to Spey cast effectively. The other advantage is the yellow floating running line. I didn't really like the floater. The intermediate is OK but as good as the Lee Wulff!!

All in all they are reasonable lines with the sinking variants performing the best.

Can I ask you a question:

If you were to choose between a Delta Spey and a Rio MidSpey for a 15ft T&T #10, what would it be?? I am looking for an extended bellied shooting head line and I'm not entirely sure what to go for.

thanks.....

John.

#3 ·
Dana,
Yes I have a Michael Evans Arrowhead twin line. It is not my favourite line and I beleive the belly is too short for experienced Spey casters too much stripping etc. Not as good as the Lee Wulff but it sinks a bit faster so I use it when conditions call for it.

Malcolm

#4 ·
Thanks for the feedback on the ME lines, gentlemen! I'll look forward to casting mine (a full floater) when it arrives.

John, regarding the lines, the Delta Spey and the MidSpey are two different animals--the Delta Spey has a head length of @ 55ft (depending on line weight) while the MidSpey features @ 65ft head. I would classify the Delta Spey as an extended belly shooting head, while the MidSpey falls under long belly Spey lines (see my article "The Long and the Short of Spey Lines" on speypages.com). If you've zeroed in on Airflo and RIO products, then your choices for extended belly shooting heads are the Airflo Delta Spey or the RIO Windcutter. Choosing between them is a little like choosing between Glendronach and Glenmorangie--both are sherry finished, both are excellent single malts, yet each has its own character and appeal, and a preference for one over the other will be based upon...personal taste. The same with the lines. While both lines have a similar head length they have different taper designs and grain weights. I regularly cast and fish these lines on a variety of rods and enjoy them both. If you must make the choice of one line, the best thing to do is cast them both on your rod to find out which one you prefer. If you hunt around a little you might find a shop nearby that has demo lines available.

#5 ·
Airflo v Rio

Thanks Dana. The problem I have (living in France) is that I do not have access to tackle shops who sell these kind of lines. I really have to buy and try.

So basicly the extended belly shooting head lines I could opt for are:

Windcutter 9/10/11 head = 54ft Grain weight 650
Airflo Delta 10/11, head = 55ft, grain weight 690

or
Long belly Spey lines

Mid-Spey 10/11, head = 65ft Grain weight 875
Long Delta Spey, head = 65ft, grain weight 690

Now, there is a significant difference between the grain weight of the Mid-Spey from the others. Will this be an issue on my T&T #10?

If you were picking a line for floating line fishing on a big river (i.e. maximum distance is key) where you may have to add a sinking tip and are faced with an adverse wind conditions, what would you choose?? I don't like to put you on the spot here, but some guidance would be good. You have the advantage of having fished all these lines.

#6 ·
lighter with the Midspey

I've fished the T&T 15' 10wt for quite a few years. Still seems to be basically the same rod, as I got a chance to try a recent model at the Clave a couple weeks back.

I agree with all your line choices except maybe the 10/11 MidSpey - I'd consider the 9/10 as these particular lines are a bit heavier than other extended belly lines of the same weight designation.

Don't get fooled by what the manufacturer's ratings - some extended belly spey lines rated 8/9 overload my Sage 8150, while it handles one another company's 10/11wt line just fine.

good luck!

DS

#7 ·
Double Spey is right with his judgement on the lighter MidSpey line 9/10 as an alternative to the 9/10/11 WindCutter.

We make the corresponding MidSpey (and Accelerator) the lower numbers of the three in the WindCutter designation.

For example a rod that takes a 8/9/10 WindCutter will load best with the 8/9 MidSpey and Accelerator.

With regard to grain weight, the longer the head length, the heavier the line needs to be to cast the extra length. This is the same principle as a regular line where a #8 weighs 210 grains at 30', but weights a lot more than 210 grains at 35' and 40'. That extra mass is needed in the longer length.

I have the 15' T&T #10 and the 9/10 MidSpey does not overload it at all. In fact that is my 'go to' line on that rod. It is the line I will fish with and teach with when using the bigger rods.

I hope this helps.

All the best
Simon G.

:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.