Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Booked a week in Mayan Riviera for Feb 8.
Any body got any info for fly fishing in the area.
Can you recommend any guides,flys places to fish etc etc.
Thanks in advance.
Speyladdie.:smokin:

·
Registered
420 Posts
lots of options

here's a list of spots that have guide svcs and accomodations.

Cuzan
Pesca Maya
Casa Blanca
Playa Blanca
Ascension Bay Bonefish Club
Sol Caribe
Boa Paila (north of Punta Allen about 18 clicks)

Cuzan is the oldest. Casa Blanca and Playa Blanca are fly-in (from Cancun) only -closer to the flats.

Plan on 1.5-2 hours from Tulum to Punta Allen

use google.

·
have flies-will travel
42 Posts
bone fishing mayan riviera

you can find bones on your own (if you know how to spot them) along many of the beach areas on the mayan riviera.Follow any road down to beaches and look for shallow areas and turttle grass.I have caught bones and even two permit within a few feet of the shore on bays between Akumel and Tulum. Take your own flies etc. as nil for sale in area.The "locals" do not know anything about bone fishing and refer you to the guided areas south of tulum(which are great but are not cheap).Good luck. w.r. earl.
p.s. try reading Randall Kaufmann's book Bonefishing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
also heading south

Interesting enough, but I am also going to bail on the winter fishing for awhile. I have taken some licks this winter and am ready to get a tan.

I believe I am heading to the same place if Ascension Bay is part of the Mayan Riveria. I would like to give bonefishing a shot, and will most likey have to employ the services of a guide, but I also really want to solo. I am also poor by most standards. "Bonefishing" by Kaufmann- is this the defintive text on the subject? I have been meaning to pick a copy up, but haven't been going bonefishing:)

Also, any websites that are as informative as this one on the topic of saltwater fishing. Any hints on how to spot the fish? I assume it is learned like anything else.

Neil, I'd be happy to share notes with you as I conclude my very rushed and limited research on the area.

Thanks Guys!!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Mayan Riviera

I was down at a big resort last winter. I only had one day to fish so I booked with Pesca Maya which is based near Ascension Bay.

It was rather pricey (for me at least) but they picked me up at my resort at the specified time (6:30am) and had me at the Lodge by 8:30am. There the uniformed guides set-up all my equipment while I had a nice breakfeast. They looked at my fly box and tied on their fly of choice. The entire outfit is very high-class and professional. Guides spoke decent english.

Unfortunately the day was very windy (25mph) so I only landed two fish. However we saw many tailers and I had shots about 25 times. My poor casting technique was the main problem.

My guide was first rate polling and sighting for me. We motored around whenever we didn't see fish. It was January so the massive schools weren't around, rather small pods of 3-5 fish. We didn't see any permit. Another party that day got into a 50lb tarpon.

The boats were 'pangas' and very stable and amazing clean, high platform to cast from.

All in all it cost me $600Cdn for that day (including $100US for transportation). Any regrets? No. But I probably wouldn't do it again unless the weather conditions were better. We couldn't go out to the big bay and the famous flats...rather fished the sheltered mangrove flats.

On the way down we passed Boca Paila bridge and the Boca Paila Lodge. There the fishing is more mangrove and less flats.

Hope that helps,
Preston

·
Registered
79 Posts
camping???

Thanks for the info. I am not sure if this is an ignorant question, but is there any camping opportunity down there? I would like to hang a few days and fish on my own without paying a lodge an arm and a leg????

·
just say no to bait
115 Posts
Hi There

Last winter I fished with the "Cuzan" lodge. The Experience was well worth the price! The Winter before (same area) I went DIY.

My guides name was Tony. He put me into many fish and coached me on technique for bones. My wife and I had a really great time. Do take lots of flies (tan & brown gotcha's) and leader, these are very difficult to find there.
Have a good time:)

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Recommendations...

What leader recommendations do you have for bones? And are there permit & snook about also? Different flies for these fish?

My wife (with some of the girls) are off to Cancun end April for 2 wks, & I may be able to 'join' them for a week - but I may just sneak off for a couple of days for some salt fishing!:smokin:

Mike

·
Registered
124 Posts
Punta Allen

For those of you who haven't driven the road from Tulum to Punta Allen be advised that is can be very nasty after rain. If you are going down I would recommend renting a Jeep. Even though it doesn't look that far on the map expect a minimum of 2hour drive.

You can camp on the beach in Punta Allen (with permission) and if you bring provisions there are miles of beach to camp on in between Punta Allen and Tulum. In February there is a good chance of an El Norte which pretty much grounds all the boats out of Punta Allen. Boca Pailla will still fish in the mangrove areas with the big winds since they launch off the leeward side. It can get cold so bring warm cloths.

I have had best luck with Permit using crab flies like the rug fly and McCrab. Tarpon I alway use a cockroach or poppers. Never caught a snook there.The bonefish usually only get picky in the afternoon sun. You will need a few flies that are weighted heavier than just bead chain for the mangrove areas. A 10ft leader will work fine with 12-15ft better at mid-day.

Last time I went I took an inflatable kayak (cheap sevylor) and launched at the bridge. I also fished in the small bay just past the bridge and down near Punta Allen. If you want to wing it I think a craft is a must.

Not to distract you from your goal, but if you end up near Merida head over to Campache which has the best tarpon fishing in Mexico.

Best of luck.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Thanks...

for the added info.

Hopefully I may be able to use this in April/May.

Mike

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Guys.
Thanks for all the info and tips.
Turns out my sister in law used a local guide in Cozumel who was great.I got in touch with him and have set up a couple of days fly fishing,$100.00US a day.Not bad I guess.
Leaving at 3am Thurs morning.
Cant wait to get away from this bloody cold weather.
Hopefully its a bit warmer when I return home.
Speyladdie.:smokin:

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Back from Mexico.
Sadly,nothing to report.Plans didnt work out as expected.
First off I tried casting from the beach at my resort.
It was very windy most of the time and very shallow clear beaches.Didnt see any fish busting and no bait fish which was a sign,for sure.
There was a reef about 500 meters off shore but obviously needed a boat to get out there.
The resident Scuba Diving Instructor told me there were fish out on the reef but were deep.
So next I tried going over to Cosumel on the ferry.
It was a Sunday,which apparently is family day so not too many people working.Especially the local fishermen.
I did manage to get a local tourist guy to drive me around the Island to check out some spots.
He took to one area where the locals go out to the flats in their boats for Bone fish and other species.
Alas they were all at home for family day.
I did find out that they charge $200US for 4 hours to take you out to the flats,not cheap by any means.
There were also other locals advertizing Bone Fishing for $250 a day but I didnt have time to book one of those deals.
To sum up.For any one traveling to the Mayan Rivera do your home work ahead of time if you wish to do some fishing.
I found out on my return that I could have paid another 400-500 bucks and gone down to the Ascention Bay Bone fish club.Ah well,maybe next time.
Sorry guys.Not much info but this is all I could find out.
Speyladdie.:(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts