Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me the low down on how to go about tying a non-tube tube fly using a spey hook with a long shaft. The hook is bent straight and has a bead (or something at the back of the hook). The line runs through the eye of the hook along the body of the fly and through the "bead". A short tube is attached to straightened out end of the hook. The line goes through the tube and attaches to your tube fly hook, which in turn is anchored into the tube.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
non tube

i use a loop of amnesia wrapped with thread when i first start to tie my fly. i make the loop just large enough for my leader to go thru it.the loop is postioned 1/4 or so from end of shank. dont forget to file cut end smooth.whats the ? sounds like you have general idea. beau

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Intruder Style

You can tie a similar concept fly by cutting the bend of the hook off and lashing a loop of "fire-line" or a similar super-braid line. Then tie your fly, I believe the original Intruders were done this way (Beau would know), after the tie is complete you take a light wire Octopus hook like a Gamakatsu and loop it onto the fire-line.

This way the advantages of using a tube-fly, that is a short shank hook and the ability to replace it if dulled is still there, while you have the added advantage of using a wide range of high quality up-turned eye hooks. I haven't used this style myself, but the ones I have looked at appear deadly.

·
Registered
141 Posts
string flies

the needle fly is interesting but it doesn't show how a cone or bead can be included. One of the sponsors of this site, FlyFish USA has some flies called "Cone Head Rabbit Stip String leech." their site is "http://www.flyfishusa.com". Go to flies, and then steelhead flies. These flies show a metal loop or eye protruding from the cone head. Presumably they have some sort of shank with a loop or eye on the distal end, and something to prevent the cone from sliding on the shank. The fly is then tied on the shank and the hook is attached with a length of mono to the second loop or eye. What you need is a short length of wire with a hook on each end, one of which is small enough to insert through a cone or bead. I'm still trying to figure out how to make one. I've never seen them for sale! Unless, they are Wadington Shanks, which I have never used!

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
String Leeches

The rabbit strip is lashed to the 3/4" piece of tube that's glued in the cone head. A 50# piece of dacron backing can be tied with an overhand loop about 1 1/2" long and pulled through the 3/4" tube & conehead with a doubled piece of mono. The other end of the dacron (4 to 6 inches) is tied to your hook of choice. Combs mentions string leeches in his big steelhead book. These work!

·
Registered
141 Posts
String leeches

MJC
the pictures on the web page that I noted appaear to have a small metal eye protruding from the cone. It may a bit different than what you describe. If it is a metal eye, I think it likely that they have some sort of metal shank for the fly as I specualted in the previous post. Just a guess.
In your descripton of the string leech, is the overhand knot so large that the knot itself cannot be pulled through the tube and cone, just the loop created by the knot? The one-and-a- half inch loop protrudes about a half-an-inch from the cone?
thanks

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
String Leeches

N C,
I'm familiar with the pictures you are talking about. You are right it does appear to be a metal loop. It would be pretty easy to make a similar loop from a piece of spinner wire.
The knot I described is big enough with 50# Dacron that it will not pull through the tube. I haven't tried any light weight line yet. The loop can stick out of the cone any length you want. Mine are usually a quarter to a half inch.

·
Registered
141 Posts
string leeches

MJC,
two more questions. What kind of knot do you use to tie the hook onto the 50# mono? I've done some tarpon fishing, and knots in this heavy of material are often hard to tie. I beleive that we were using a Hufnagel (sp)
Secondly do you have trouble with the long piece of rabbit, or whatever, fouling on the hook? If you have 3 or 4 inches of loose rabbit swinging around 3 or 4 inches of mono, I would anticipate problems. Have you tried tying the rabbit to the heavy mono?
NC

·
Registered
141 Posts
Intruder style

Kush, I missed your post.
I have also seen some two hook saltwater flies made by lashing two hooks together without cutting off the bend and barb. As you say, they look deadly. I have been leary of this method because of the difficulty of lashing the line to the hook shank. I feared that the line would just pull out of the wraps. However this might be minimized by tying an overhand knot in the line before tying it in. also using braided line which I presume may not be as slick.
N.C.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
String Leech

N C, I use an improved clinch knot to tie the hook on. I think any knot you liked would work as well. I used to worry about the rabbit strip fouling but I don't anymore. I have thought about lashing the rabbit strip to the hook but haven't tried that method yet. For another slant on a similar fly look here:
http://www.fishingnorthwest.com/steelheadflys.htm
I don't think it matters but I'm using a Kamasan B 982 tube fly hook in size #2. It is about the same as a TMC #105. The fly I tie is pretty crude but effective. Bass also seem to like them.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Got tired of waisting money and cutting up 4/0 Partridge hooks to use them for a hook shanks. Gave it some thought and come up with a easy solution. Cotter pins. They come in various lengths 1/4" to 2 1/2' and several diameters. Bend the eye down and you have the shape of a downeyed hook shank. Tie your fly and hook them up like you would a tube fly. Pins come in different materials, Alum.,Brass, SS and plain which will rust.
Enjoy,
Leroy................

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Cotter Pins

Leroy, Very Creative!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Now that's a great idea! And probably a heck of a lot

cheaper than Waddington shanks. Lowe's here I come!
fae

·
Registered
886 Posts
Help

What is a cotter pin? any links so I could see a picture

Fred, Orthodontic wire works but it is a pig to bend up.

Malcolm

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
tube

forget the dacron for a string leech. best i have seen is to use short thinnest tube. make a tinsel body on tube or whatever you want to use. tie on as long of rabbit strip as you want for wing. tie on hackle of choice. tie a loop knot of choice so that the loop lenght will place the hook back where you wish. the knot for the loop will be up against the end of the tube, keeping your hook suspended at your desired length. when you wish to change the hook slip it off the loop and slip on a fresh one.beau

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Patato, Patttooo, Tamato, Tamotoo, :>)

Thank God it wasn't a 'crescent wrench,' some one would have had to send Willie a picture of a 'spanner.' All kidding aside, it's really interesting to see the different names for common products ... just a function of where you're at.

Ditto with 'slanguage;' be VERY careful of this if you travel. Our common 'slang words' can have very, very different meanings in different countries. Our useage could be quite bland, but 'elsewhere' it could get you into a fist fight. Example: the little belted bags we ware around our middle to carry stuff (aka a 'fanney pack'). Trust me, in many other 'English Speaking' countries the term has quite a different meaning!

:whoa:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts