Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using sink tips, I have been mending by throwing a strong up stream mend that lifts the tip or most of it out of the water, orients the fly and leader down stream ahead of the line. The problem with this method is that some distance is lost making the mend and after a couple of hours, there is a fatique factor associated with making the mend. I partly heard George Cook at the Clav comment on mending and I think he said that he completes his cast, drops his rod tip to encourage quick sinking and then makes a gentle upstream mend of the lines belly. I was wondering if I heard him right and if so wouldn't this mend possibly cause the tip to belly out ahead of the fly and leader?? I would be interested in members thoughts about mending tips. WPK

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Kinda depends on the angle you are casting across the stream. A 90 degree angle or close to it will require more aggressive mending (depending on the current). An option would be to try a reach cast which can be done quite well with a two hander. Be sure to shoot some line when you pull the rod upstream so that you do not cause the fly to bounce back. If you quarter down stream more on the initial cast, less mending is necessary though you may not get the line and fly as deep. An option here including the reach mend is to feed line right away after you make the quartering downstream cast to help it sink.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I can and frequently do make a midair upstream mend while the forward cast is flying away from me. It's a kind of dynamic reach cast, I suppose. It takes less energy than mending a line that's already on or in the water.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts