Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have experience with Meiser rods?
I’m considering having a switch rod built for a good boat rod as well as pike fishing.
compared to Winston or Loomis or other “off the shelf” rods, how do they fish?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Meiser rods are awesome, lots of feel...the new blanks are quite light and crisp. You can customize them any way you want and they have plenty of options for you to pick from. Some are almost to pretty to fish! I think Bob has a model that is designed for Pike fishing. If you want something that you can beat the $£|¥ out of go with a Loomis.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a conversation with Bob today and I’m super impressed to have a conversation with the rod maker. I’ve just never held one and the price point puts it up there with other top of the line technology so if there’s a better $1k rod for fit, finish, swing weight and cast ability, it would be good to know. Also, has anyone had a warranty with Meiser? Just curious about the total experience.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have 5 Meiser rods and I love them all. Bob has always treated me right. I must say that I fish my rods and take care of them but don’t baby them and I have had no issues. Rods are strong and well designed.
I think you will be very happy with the rod quality and customer service if you choose to become part of the Meiser rod family. Meiser team is top notch.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Meiser rods are awesome, lots of feel...the new blanks are quite light and crisp. You can customize them any way you want and they have plenty of options for you to pick from. Some are almost to pretty to fish! I think Bob has a model that is designed for Pike fishing. If you want something that you can beat the $£|¥ out of go with a Loomis.

I have to disagree with you. You can beat the $h!+ out of a Meiser. I have and the rod is always ready for round two.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I’m okay without a warranty because Im after the rod and how it performs and no warranty will give that to me. Can you tell that I’m trying to talk myself into it?

·
no expectations
101 Posts
Just curious, did you ask Bob about sending you a loaner?? If you’ve never cast one, for the price of shipping, it’s an easy way to check out the action and components

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’m considering having a switch rod built for a good boat rod as well as pike fishing.
[/QUOTE

I have an 11ft 7wt. Meiser Switch Rod.
It is my favorite North Umpqua summer rod. It casts and fishes beautifully.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My go-to winter steelhead rod is a Highlander S2H11779C-4. I also use it in Florida for bull reds. The grain window is 500-800. I highly recommend this rod. It will make casting anything fun. And you can really pull on the fish hard.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Bob also offers a minimal fee checkup of the rods which I have done several times. Great idea for a trained set of eyes to inspect the rod and identify potential issues. They even freshened up the cork for me. I tend to not be hard on my fishing gear, but I have busted a few rods. I am comfortable dealing with Bob’s shop because I know they stand by their products. I own three Meiser rods and am contemplating adding another to the quiver for a retirement gift from me to me.

Mark

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just curious, did you ask Bob about sending you a loaner?? If you’ve never cast one, for the price of shipping, it’s an easy way to check out the action and components
Yes, I think I’ll do that for sure

·
Premium Member
3,627 Posts
What SL2 said.

No warranty per se, but you break it, they'll fix it, for a reasonable repair charge.
And when you do, unless there are some extraordinary circumstances they will fix it right away if you need it. I broke a tip after dropping my wading staff on it in my back seat in the dark. I sent them the relevant parts the next morning on the road, and picked up the replacement driving through Medford like three days later.

An arrangement that IMHO is so much better than a typical big company warranty, which is more like an insurance company making money selling insurance policies than anything else - almost guaranteed over the long haul not to net you actual savings, and there is usually some red tape of some sort, and medium to long delays, before you are done. If it weren’t for a constant curiosity about other things I’d probably just stick with nothing but Meisers!

·
Registered
709 Posts
I was going to reply to this thread earlier, but I thought the OP answered his own question with the title of the thread "Mieser vs. ....". There is no comparison and it is without equal ;).

This is especially true after you visit with Bob and have him design the perfect rod for your target species and preferred casting style.

I recently watched the movie, "The Patriot". If I only had one sword and had to ride out to war on top of a brave horse to save the world, I would just take my Meiser and hold it with an outstretched hand perfectly balanced with a classic click and pawl reel of some sort and ride directly into the heart of the enemy. They would melt in fear at the sight and simply surrender. This happens all the time when I'm on the river, particularly when I'm throwing a Gaelforce line. I'm not low holing anybody. But they just start exiting the river to either sit on the bank and watch or leave for another run. Either way, the battle is won. And battles are won with rods 15' or longer. You can't save the world with a switch rod.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
😂 that was a great statement read1t48. I’m not sure where you fish but here it’s all about combat fishing shoulder to shoulder which makes it difficult for anything over 10-11’. I do plan on fighting pike from a skiff this year as well. But again, another shorter rod scenario. Unless... Anyone in this forum have experience with Spey in Alaska? I’d love to give a 15+ rod a shot.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
dlb : your opening question had me choking on reflux saliva. I'll save you hours of searching the Rods forum: Meiser rods are flat-dab beloved in the spey community. Probably Burkheimer enjoys comparable brand loyalty, as do some individual models of other brands.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A Meiser rod that may be designed exactly for your purposes is the 909 model. This is a sub 10ft switch rod that will be much easier to fish with from a boat. It casts easily single- or two-handed, and is gaining popularity in the pike/musky/bass crowd. I have a 6-8wt model and it throws a SGS BC Scandi and an OPST Smooth integrated line with equal ease. I have several+ Meiser rods and find that the rods I have from before being introduced to the Meiser rod now only collect dust on the rack. They are the best.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’ve got a custom rod order in the works with Mr Meiser right now. The 909 will be my heavy hitter once I have the details worked out. For now, I’m having a Euro nymphing trout style TH rod built. Can’t wait to get it out on the water.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts