Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Recently Spey'd
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody.
I was lucky enough to purchase a second hand rod made by R.B. Meiser. It is a Rogue River Rod S2H12678 - 4 pcs. I can't wait for it's arrival. A work of art!
My question is based on line recommendations. I will be using it to fish for Steelhead. I prefer to fish with sink tips & weighted flies. Would anybody be kind enough to recommend some lines? Skagit to mid/long belly lines. Also, what is the grain window for this rod?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hi Rookie Spey,

If the rod is actually marked as a "Rogue River Rod" it may be one of the very first two handed rods that I ever designed and sold.

About 10 years ago my shop name was registered as "Rogue River Rods", and they were signed accordingly.

Around 5 or 6 years ago, a rod blank company was started in the Rogue Valley, and they took on the registered name of "Rogue Rods".

Wanting to avoid confusion by association <> I re-registered my shop name to "RB Meiser Rods".

It will be very interesting to see the year and date marked on the rod, so when you do receive the rod please drop me a line.

About this rod:

A happy grain window for this rod will be in the 420 to 580 grain range.

This is a fast/medium fast recovery progressive action, progressive tapered rod; one of the earliest of tapers that has evolved into the Highlander series.

She is a little tippy, so it will be best to dig into the entire blank with a two hand even push and slight underhand power to get full reserve...Avoid agressive high hand power as the top end of the rod will not like it.

If this is the rod that I think it is; most of the lines that we used in her development were hand made, or we used one of Vincent's early Rio Windcutters, as at the time, there were very few other two handed lines on the shelf.

We would have generally used the body section only of the 9/10/11 Rio WC, and the tips within the kit as a short belly interchangeable tip shooting head system...Or the Rio WC 7/8/9 straight up.

The same would hold true for now, but add about a bazillion other possibilities...};^)...!!!

Considering the action and grain window for this rod at 12', I'd suggest a CND Gravity Point 7/8 wt as a good all purpose interchangeable tip fishing line.

For short belly shooting heads, the rod will manage a 450 Rio Skagit with minimal anchor touch and go and underhand power, or you can use the 9/10/11 WC body section only with tips (as described above) and your anchor release may not be as criticle.

...Anyways, good on ya for that rod, I hope you have great fun with her.

I think you have a bit of our early history with that rod.

Feel free to drop a line to me any time if you have questions.

Meiz

·
Recently Spey'd
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply & the line recommendations Mr Meiser. The info is just what I was looking for.
As I said in my previous post...I can't wait for it to get here. The handle work is superb!:D The rest of the rod ain't bad either!;)
I'm sure you know the rod. It's got a large feather inlay & no name written on it other than the model.:smokin:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts