Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Robert
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to try this rod on Bob’s trial program next week. It’s a 3 weight, 250-400 grain window. I have a 275 grain Ambush to use with it but thinking about other (longer?) Scandi lines that would pair with it. I have an iSGS (full sink intermediate) that I like for my bigger Meiser, probably get one of them for this rod. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A 270 Rage or Scandi Compact should work great on that rod. I have a S2H12634MKX and a 300 gr Rage works well. Meiser rods have a wide grain window so you should be good with lines in the 270-300 gr range.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
I’ll sound like a broken record, but get one of Steve’s scandis designed to use light sink tips like 10’ 5wt Rio replacement tips for that rod. I like them so much, especially with lighter rods, that I got them for all my rods. Best of both worlds, elegance with flexibility. I like the full intermediate lines he makes too.

·
Robert
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I liked the rod so much I ordered one; Bob wouldn’t let the trial rod be sold because it has a cosmetic flaw I couldn’t see. It’s very light, progressive action like all his rods and I was casting 90+ feet with it. Tried a bunch of lines, Rage, compact Scand, my 277 gr. Ambush with a 10’ Versileader in 4 ips worked nicely as well. Mr. Godshall is going to work me up a looped head based on the Ballistic Vector that he says will sing on this rod. Perfect rod for NorCal and Southern Oregon Summer Steelhead; Another win for R. B. Meiser.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was thinking about Meiser Trout Spey after selling my S2H13057CX-4. I want a rod that would be light enough for the Yakima and general trout.

Any additional thoughts on the 12624cx??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Robert
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up with the 12635CX, test drove it for a week on the Rogue, Williamson and Trinity. Very nice. Fished all manner of lines with it as I was with a guide who has trout spey lines by Airflo. It handled Scout, Rage, multi-density heads, Wulff Ambush with type 4 Versileader very nicely. Ordered a custom head from Steve Godshall that’s based on the Ballistic Vector that he designed with Lee Davison. Haven’t tried that yet, hopefully next week. Fish to four lbs.
I’d think the 3 would be very nice for what you need, call Bob and try one out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts