Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of purchasing the Meiser 11'7" 6/7wt. rod.I would be using it for Pinks and Coho on the beach and in the rivers and on summer-runs.How does the rod cast overhead?Distance is crucial on the beach,especially for Coho.What lines would work well for overhead casting and for Spey casting?Any feedback and recommendations would be appreciated.Thanx in advance.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Hey Cannon...

If you haven't done so yet I'd recommend you contacting Bob Meiser. He has the answers to all of your questions and is easy to work with. Also Aaron at River Run Anglers has a lot of info on Meiser rods. Both of these companies are listed on the sponsors page.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Bob will send you one to try before you buy.

I've over-handed a similar one--a 5/6 wt 11' or 11'-6" "trouter" model. The line (in this case, hardy mach I 8/9 floating) eff-ing rockets!

I think the one you're looking at is one I've drooled over...it should cast even better than the one I tried.

Tom

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Cannon

I have the 11' 7" 5/6/7. I suspect this is the one you are talking about, unless Bob has hatched a new "bigger brother", something that happens frequently for him. From the beach I would try a shootimg head, or one of the new outbound lines. Bob will know what works best. I have used a standard WF8 long belly Cortland 444 and it is easy to get over 100'. For spey casting the RIO SAS 8 works well.

A couple of friends have used it for the Ronde with success. The fish are hot , but not too big. A big coho will test your skills.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Agreed.

I have and love the Meiser 11'7" 5/6/7, and agree that it likes the SAS #8. Skagit style I like the WC 9/10/11 belly with tips. I haven't tried the overhead route, but would start with an 8wt or a 9wt 30' shooting head.

Carl

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Cannon,

I'd consider the new Rio outbounds for your overhead work, for the 11'7" <> Or any of your rods suitable for two handed over head.

Lots of options with these lines, and they are very nicely balanced tapers.

Hardy has pretty much taken their old Mach-1 Salmon series and turned them into looped shooting heads.

...And as did the old Mach-1s <> They make fine overhead delivery lines as well.

For warm water Tropo Salt ...We have found that the Monic Phantoms are unsurpassed for two handed overhead delivery.

The 11'7" likes 380 to 510 grains....With around 450 making her real happy.

Meiz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts