Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any opinions on this rod configuration and its uses?

Looking for a new 6 weight for summer fishing with some skating possibly.

I tried the new 11957S rod at the Sandy Clave and it was nice. I also tried the 12657C and it was great as well.

Just wondering how the 11'7 is fishing for those of you who have them. Do they feel like a switch or Spey? Any regrets with not going to the 12-13ft rod etc?

Thanks

DH

·
Registered
519 Posts
11'7" s2h...

Great rod, will handle many line configurations from 22'SGS skagits to 35' scandis up to 50' short bellies if you are patient with your stroke. Search function here will reveal many discussions of this rod. Great for smaller waters. In Bob M's own words-"she's not really a switch rod- you wouldn't want to single hand with it for very long..."
A very fine fishing rod. You can't go wrong with it if you are fishing smaller rivers.

Tom

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Anything around 420 grains for Scandi works well on this rod. I currently use a Guideline DDC Connect 420 system on my rod. 450 Skagit is okay. I would think a 5/6 mid-belly like a CND GPS would be lovely as well.

I ordered mine with the regular and 'turbo' tip. The latter is stiffer and designed to dig tips out better.

I prefer the regular tip however I am exclusively using T&G casts now.

I view this rod as a small spey. At 11'7" it's too long to single hand cast for more than a brief cast or two. Perhaps that would be different if I used a full floater mid-belly on it...?

I don't use mine much anymore as I only use it when on smaller rivers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts