Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Meiser rods with Saracione and Bauer reels
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I’m embarrassed to say I’m a little late to the Meiser party. I picked up one of Bobs 11’7” Highlander 3,4,5wt rods. I got rid of my Sage One 4wt to give one of these a go.

Yesterday was the first day I got to use it. Let me just say, what a treat! Aside from being beautiful it is an amazing casting rod.

I ended up catching several trout swinging soft hackles. At one point I busted off my fly and was just happy casting. My wife ended up txting me asking if I was ever going to come home. I had to think about that for minute....:) I eventually went home:)

Anyway, I’m very happy with this new stick! Now I need to figure out how to get a couple more of Bob’s rods!

Attachments

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,449 Posts
Boy I might have a deal for you. Working with Bob on a new one and if I pull the trigger will need to move one or two of my backups.

You can never had only one Meiser.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sinktip

Let me know! I’d be willing to hear what you have.

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
MY favorite trout spey!

And as long as your on the path to a second, talk to Bob and Nick about the conversion version of this- 14'2" six weight with the addition of two sections to the top three of the 11'7. I love it with an arrowhead.

·
Administrator
18,638 Posts
No need to be embarrassed, the important thing is you have now discovered what all the fuss is about concerning these Meiser rods :)
Nine rods later, I too fall in the category of looking for another Meiser ... in fact I have my eyes set on three more :D

What line/head did you find success with ??

Mike

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Mike for the encouraging words on my new addiction!

I had a Rio 4wt trout Spey kicking around that is 305grns, with a light SA Sonar float leader in 10’ makes it about magic. It’s right at 355grns and will cast soft hackles in 25-30mph winds like a champ!

I’m still going to be looking at other line options as well. This is going to be a great Yakima river trout rod.

·
Administrator
18,638 Posts
This is good info :)
I'm currently setting up a Meiser 10'6" 2/3 Trout Spey.
How did the line/rod perform in tight quarters and in close ??

Mike

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well Mike, the Yakima this time of year is pretty full. So when wading your back is in the brush. I didn’t have any problems throwing a 60’ cast if needed.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Went out today with my Meiser 11724 with the hope of finding the right grain of Skagit head. I cast a OPST 200, OPST 225 & RIO 250 Trout Spey, all with the same OPST 80 gr. 10’ tip. All cast find, but the cannon was the 250, but could have managed with any of the 3. These Meiser’s have a tolerance for wide range of grains.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh, I am really jonesing the highlander 10' 2wt. Perfect for the smaller eastern PA limestones.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
I known what you mean. I just picked up one of Bob's show rods (I couldn't resist). My third Meiser (4th if for some reason you consider a TFO DEER creek Meiserish...). I went for the Highlander C 11' 4/5/6, and it is a nifty little rod, even if I haven't got the line dialed in yet. I went a tad heavier than most as I do occasionally have the occasion for going after bigger trout (20'' plus) when travelling. It definitly has the backbone to handle those bigger fish...

Now time to find another excuse to buy another one of Bob's rods...

Enjoy that piece of art that casts a fly line beautifully!

Simon

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I known what you mean. I just picked up one of Bob's show rods (I couldn't resist). My third Meiser (4th if for some reason you consider a TFO DEER creek Meiserish...). I went for the Highlander C 11' 4/5/6, and it is a nifty little rod, even if I haven't got the line dialed in yet. I went a tad heavier than most as I do occasionally have the occasion for going after bigger trout (20'' plus) when travelling. It definitly has the backbone to handle those bigger fish...

Now time to find another excuse to buy another one of Bob's rods...

Enjoy that piece of art that casts a fly line beautifully!

Simon
Ive had my shorter 4 since before they were designated the way they are now, but I think the grain window is the same. I run 270 SA scandi light, an old 4 wt AFS, and a 300 grain skagit. Throws all of the them easily and cleanly. The SA is probably my favorite of the three.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 11'9" 4wt showed up the other day. All I can say is wow! First cast felt like this thing was custom fit just for me. The 350 skagit and 300 scandi feel bang on for my casting stroke. Caught three healthy rainbows swinging soft hackles in the first hour using it. I think this thing has some extra mojo built in to it as I haven't caught anything on my previous Sage One 5 weight in the last year!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts