Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
13,6´8 wt. Highlander S Series S2H1368S-4

I have a chance to get a#10 Nautilus for a good price. Any comments on how this reel would ballance with this rod. I like a large arbor but am open to suggestions and other people's likes...

Thanks!

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have a solid face Abel spey on that rod (black hardware) since I'm partial to clickers. To be honest, there are few crappy modern reels - go with what you like.

I have a chance to get a#10 Nautilus for a good price. Any comments on how this reel would ballance with this rod. I like a large arbor but am open to suggestions and other people's likes...

Thanks!

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
That rod will want a minimum of 10-12 oz in reel to balance properly, if you want the outfit to be balanced in the hand.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
The large arbors sure a sweet for their line-pickup.

Balance - Strictly a personal preference. Generally speaking - A reel of at least 9 ounces (backing and line will add roughly 2 ounces) is needed to counter the tip weight of a rod in that range.

·
Administrator
19,098 Posts
Like Vic mentioned, balance is personal. You will get dozens of different suggestions and opinions.
I found my 13' 6/7/8 Highlander balanced out nicely with a Hardy Cascapedia 10/11. Others liked it with the 8/9 version.
I have a 3-3/4" Olson coming for it now :smokin:

Mike

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,162 Posts
My 4.25" Hardy Uniqua, wide spool, loaded, is an even 16 oz, and balances nicely on my 13'6" MKS 7/8. Bob hefted it in the shop, and felt so also. Now, realize that's with the shooting head all out to the loop. No sense in weighing it with the line spooled = you want to weigh it ready to fire!

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Good point. The best way to tell how well a rod/reel match-up is in actual fishing situations. My idea of a balanced outfit for swinging is one where the line is cast, it is in full swing under tension and Im not fighting the tip either way. This is totally different from balancing a rod in-hand, reel mounted with the line spooled.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I agree with SpeySpaz. I have the 13'6" 7wt version of that rod. I use a Colton Torrent T-911 reel that is listed at 10.7oz empty. With a Delta 7/9 line with tips, on the swing that reel balances the rod right where I, personally, like it-right near the top of the cork. Tight Lines!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Salmon 2

I use a Salmon 2 on my 136678 HC and it balances nicely. My rod has a down locking reel seat for what it is worth. I think this gets me by with a little lighter reel.

DH

·
Registered
824 Posts

Thanks!
Spoil yourself , you only live once , get a 1912 check Hardy wide drum in a 4 inch or even a 4 1/4 ,

if you can't find one of them , then any old hardy wide drum perfects from the 20's to late 40's is juicy

That's a *****'n good stick you got

·
Registered
371 Posts
Speyco Skagit. I own 2, with 1 on my Highlander Classic 13' 6/7/8. Balances it out nicely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts