Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the opportunity to cast this rod over the past weekend and I cant say enough about how this rod performed. I tried it with two short belly lines and a RIO Midspey line and the rod performed extremely well with any of the 3 lines on it. It casts almost as well as it looks. It is almost too pretty of a rod for someone like me? :rolleyes: Cant wait for the fall to get a chance to see what happens when I get my first fish on this lovely little gem. Thanks for all of your help BOB......

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
What lines?

are you liking on this rod? Do they agree with the RIO recommendations?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lines

I like the RIO "B" recommendations for this rod. I like to feel the rod load a little bit deeper. I tried the 8/9 midspey and the 8/9/10 WC and a custom line on this rod. I just ordered a RIO skagit line as well for this rod. The 550 grain line is the one that I went with. It seemed effrotless to hit 90 feet with this thing throwing the WC with a type 6 tip and some pretty large tube flies. I cant wait to see what I can do with this new Skagit line and some T-14 tips that I put together for this set up.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Lines for the MKS13689

It was recommended to me to try the WC 9/10/11 with this rod. I haven't had the opportunity to do much testing with this line yet, so I really can't comment on it.

I was a little surprised when I saw Simon's recommendations for this rod, as they mostly seem to be at the very low end or even below the grain window for this rod. I am thinking that Simon's recommendations are assuming most people will be adding heavier tips to the head than the floater. I think I just have to get ahold of a pile of lines in order to figure out how they compare and what I like.

I haven't had the rod that long, but I have been using it quite a bit lately for overhead casting. I am using the Guideline Powertaper 9/10 Sink1/2. With a nice easy stroke, I am having very little trouble getting good distance (for me) with good turnover at the end of the cast - very effortless casting. I have no doubt that someone with better mechanics would be sending this line off into the horizon with this rod. I tried the WC 9/10/11 for overhand castiing and didn't have as much success.

I am eager to hear about other people's favorite lines for this rod.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe that this rod could handle a lot more grains than what I was throwing at it. But since it was not my rod I didnt want to push it to much and have a problem. I am sure Bob could add some additional info on what this rod could handle. I have used a WC 9/10/11 on a Sage 9140 and it could handle it pretty well. This MKS rod has a lot more power than that rod so I dont think that using a the WC 9/10/11 would be a problem at all. Until I have a chance to play with it a little more I wont really know what it can handle. So much fun to be had and so little time! :Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hi Rick,

The grain window for the 13689MKS is pretty broad: 520 to 720 grains with about 580/620 being real comfy.

She is an all purpose rod, and will deliver shooting heads as effectively and easily as floating lines with tips.

For short belly shooting heads like the Rio Skagits I'd suggest the 450 for tip to 2/3 load, and the 550 to fully butt load.

She works off of the tip very well for shorter distances and detail work in low clear water conditions.

The 450 is great for this.

If you do need to reach far seams, or have higher water with color requiring more tip grainage, or you need to dig into the butt to punch the wind...Then the 550 may be a better choice.

Generally <> The 450 for smaller rivers or clear water, and the 550 for bigger, more complex rivers or windy/off color conditions.

For longer bellied Scando style shooting heads like the Rio Scando with tips and built in compensator...I'd grab the 7/8 wt at 450/500 grains, or the 8/9 wt for 500/540 for the same reasons.

I really like the built-in intermediate sink compensator on these lines, as they seem to have a bit stiffer line density then the belly, and will aide in turning over the bigger bugs, plus set-up the descent.

The thing to remember about throwing shooting heads is that to a large degree, you are primarily delivering the head <> The tip is just along for the ride.

....So match the size of your shooting heads to meet your fishing enviornment, no need to over do it if it's not required.

As far as short to mid belly floating lines with tips: I'd opt for the 8/9/10 WC, or 8/9 MS <> Airflow: 8/9 standard or 7/8 <> 8/9 long...Again depending on how deep you want to dig into the rod.

For long bellies: The Carron 9/10 75' is great for effortless long distance greaseline work, as is the Snowbee 3D for 9/10. Or the 7/8 XLT.

The main thing with the MKS rods regardless of the line system used, is to let them do all the work for you: Economize your movement, and ease up on the power stroke.....Be a lazy guy with good timing ...};^)...!!!

Hope this helps a bit.....Meiz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts