Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will soon be the proud owner of a new MKS 13' 6" 7/8. I need to purchase a line and have a couple of questions:

1. What lines are a good match for this rod? Bob mentioned a Skagit 550. What are other good matches?

2. My casting basically sucks; I'm at the newbie end of the continuum. Am I better off starting w/ a Skagit set-up, or something more in the mid-belly range like a CND GPS? I realize short belly lines are easier to cast, but I wonder whether it's better to learn on a short belly or just start w/ a mid belly. I want to learn the snake roll and single spey and wonder whether those are casts that are used w/ a Skagit set-up.

I'll be talking more w/ Bob, but wondered what others in the know had to say. Thanks in advance for the advice

Jon

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I use a 450 Rio Skagit on mine. Haven't tried a heavier line as I'm happy with it. Typically I use 129 or 140 grain tips and big flies with it.

Bob suggested, and I bought, a CND GPS 8/9 for the rod, but I haven't tried it yet as I focused on Skagit casts last fall.

You'll love the rod. I'm just about to order a 140910MKS for really big flows and fish.

Preston

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Jon

I have one and you will love the rod. But, how will you use it the most? If you are going to use it the most in tight quarters, fishing tips, and big flies, then a Skagit system is probably the way to go. And yes, a Skagit system works fine with a floating tip. If you are going to use it mostly with a floating line with casting room, then a WC or Mid spey might make more sense. I have used mine primarily for tight quarters and with tips. I use a longer Meiser for most of the dry line work.

Don't forget that a WC with belly two removed makes a fine Skagit type system. If you happen to have a WC 10/11/12, temove tip two and have a go. Though I do not happen to have one, the 11/12/13, no longer manufactured, would be even better.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mks 13'6"

I too have a new MKS, I like the Airflo Delta 7/8 tips, seems to be a little smoother on the forward cast. Probably just my way of doing things, but another option for you to think about. First two fish of the year taken on the Sauk last Tuesday afternoon/evening using this rod SWEEEEET!
Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks...

for the feedback...gives me something to work with.

Jon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts