Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Switch and Spey rods.
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bob will be starting on my 13' 5/6 anytime now. I just tried out a bunch of his stuff last week and fell in love. I've got money stashed away for my next rod already. I'm going to get something for steelies in medium sized water. Maybe a 13' to 13'6" 7/8 or 8/9.
Can't wait..................

·
loco alto!
3,053 Posts
I'm waiting to get my mitts on two Meiser speys to test drive, and between his schedule, demands on his test rods, and my schedule, it could be as long as June until I get my chance...

just biding time, being patient, :smokin:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
gammarus re Meiser-mania

There is only one cure for Meiser-Mania! ;)

That is to try his rods and then buy the one or ones you like.

I have 3 now, and my latest, his new 13'6" Ocean Rod will be coming to Grampa next week. It will have two tips. One very stiff one for coastal casting and a less stiff tip for casting spey type casts into big rivers with real sinking lines. It will become my summer salmon and fall salmon rod. It is about ten times easier to cast than my Sage 10151 and will put a Rio Striper fast sinking 350 grain line way out in the river with a big fly. That combo is bouncing off the bottom quickly after the cast. My Rio Spey lines with tip compensator and even the type 8 tip can barely tick the bottom after 30 to 40' of down river flow after the fly lands. This should enable me get out to and down to where the Kings are in our rivers.

I will be using the rod's River Casting tip with my AST Striper intermediate line (which I bought during one of our auctions) on our local river. We have very limited casting areas, zero back casting areas, tidal impacts, trees and other junk all over the water, and incredible swirling winds. This rod and the AST Striper Intermediate just hums the line out. It beaches the stripers before they can wrap the line around some bad stuff all over the river. This rod enables me to cast from the shore without wading and inspite of all the problems put the fly out where the Stripers are.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Grampa, what are the other two Meisers that you have?

·
Registered
Switch and Spey rods.
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MJYP, would you consider the 8136 to be a medium weight spey rod? I will be getting a heavy rod for big rivers later so I'm eyeing the 7136 or 8136. This rod will be my main go to rod so it will have to versatile.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
DLoop re the Meiser Rods I own

I have 3 of his 10'6" switch rods:

5/6
7/8
9/10

They cover a lot of the water that I fish in N. California and S. Oregon re smaller streams, lakes and fishing from boats.

His 5/6 is my trout rod for lakes and rivers. It is a great small mouth bass rod. It handles most small lake species and is great with half pounders.

When Putah Creek* reopens (large trout) next week, it will be my main fishing stick. The trout can be quite large (4-10 pounds) in some very heavy/fast water below the dam. My 7/8 is a little too big, and I have had two reel seats broken off my Sage 4 LL by big trout in heavy water. My one handed 5 and 6 weight rods which I have sold, often could not turn these big strong fish after I hooked them. You can hold the 5/6 sideways and really put the pressure on the fish, turn them or force them off the bottom. Much of the area has a canopy of trees behind you and over you. There is very little water that I can't roll cast, lob cast or spey cast with the 5/6. Like with all of his two handed rods, you don't have to wade out as far to cast and cover the water. Many times I'm barely in the water or fishing from the shore. This makes fishing this potentially dangerous to wade stream a lot safer and less tiring. The rod works well with size 20 flies to size 2 streamers. When I try to fish with two flies on my Spey rods, I end up hooking myself when I try to release a fish due to the limber rods. This is not a problem with Bob's switch rods.

The 7/8 is my small to medium stream rod for steelhead and the rod for shad fishing with a lot of other fishers in the American, Yuba and the lower Sacramento. I haven't used it yet on a drift boat on the lower Sac for big trout, but it should be a great rod. It is the main stick for one of Bob's friends who fishes for Stripers from a boat in the Delta. I prefer the 9/10 as my skills are not that great.

The 9/10 rod is for larger fish in close quarters and works great in a boat fishing for stripers. Even this old man can roll cast a Rio Striper 350 sinking head line to get the head out and then cast most of the line if not all of it with a size 2/0 fly from a boat. Often in the Delta, you need 60 to 80' casts. I can do that with the 9/10 from a boat. You have to remember that it is longer than the standard 9 foot single handed rods and to stand back from the gunnels an extra foot or so when battling a big fish.

I have a two spey rod/reel case. So I will often take one of Bob's switch rods with a similiar weight Spey Rods to the rivers I fish. That way I can cover the water from my boots to as far as I can cast a spey rod. Sometimes on the Yuba, the fish will come up beside you, behind you or right in front of you. You don't want to be fishing with a 14' Spey rod in those close quarters. Bob's switch rods are great for that situation.

*Putah Creek was closed last December due to the New Zealand Mud Snail. It will reopen this coming weekend. The fish have grown bigger, stronger and meaner during the closure. I plan to be on the water several times the following week with my 5/6.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks for all the great info GS

Bob has a 5/6 demo Switch Rod up here that some folks are experimenting with. I think I will give it a try too. I'm curious as to what line you use on he 5/6? Also, do you usually use your switch rods used as an overhand cast rod, and then use a 'spey style cast' when situation prevents and overhand cast from being effective--or the other way around; more spey less overhand?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
DLoop

My main line with the Meiz 5/6 switch rod is the Windcutter 5/6 floating line. I will be using my Air Flow 6 weight with tips for deeper water without an indicator this season mainly with streamer flies for the big Putah Creek Browns. Very smart and tough fish to catch.

Due to trees, bushes and other line and fly grabbing stuff, I seldom use an overhand cast with the 5/6.

The majority of fishing on Putah Creek is high sticking or using an indicator. I prefer the Boles indicator (right angle) system. With the indicator I use an ugly two overhead lob with a water load down stream. Most of the time I can lob cast the entire head of the WC 5/6 with an indicator and flies upstream or across stream. The 5/6 can mend all of the head with one mend. There are places where I can get a 50' to 100' drifts with a single cast. You should use a fast retrieve large arbor reel incase a fish strikes close to you. I use the Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor and most of the time I can retrieve the line on a close strike and keep the fish on until he is released.

This season, I will be trying to catch the elusive browns with streamers. Then, I will use the Air Flow with sinking tips or an Orvis with a 10' permanently attached clear intermediate tip. Most of this fishing is reasonably close so my old Gunny3 should work with those lines. If not I will order the new Delta graphite large arbor for those lines. Last year I used the Loop Graphite which I recently sold with the other lines and it worked quite well.

Most of my casts with the 5/6 besides indicator lobbing are roll casts, double spey or snake roll. It is easy to cast the entire head with 9' floating or sinking furled leader with any of these casts. If the wind is upstream, I use my ugly single spey.

The rod is very capable with overhand casts. Unless I'm in a line with others, I prefer the other casts as they are easier on my shoulders.

You can parachute cast the WC 5/6 with this rod with casts that about go into orbit.

Last September on the Chetco I had a pod of nice native cuts where a stream ran into the river. The water was so clear that if you tried to wade, the fish saw you and would not strike. So I would parachute my casts (caddis dries) way up in the air and hope it landed in the seam. I was standing in ankle deep water about 50+' away. When the fly hit the slick water in the seam, a nice cut would strike. After catching and releasing them, I would have move to another seam for about 12 minutes. Then I could come back to the original seam. I was able to control the line in a high stick style inspite of all the currents and eddies for a fairly long drift.

I think that Rio now sells its WC 5/6 with tips. They didn't when I bought the line last year. That would be the best all around line system for Meize's 5/6 Switch Rod. I will try my WC 678 without tip two with its sinking tips this season. It will probably work. In fact the challenge with Meize's Switch Rods is finding the line that doesn't work with his rods. Having said that, the WC 5/6 is a perfect match.

·
Registered
194 Posts
GS

Your post sent me researching what a Boles indicator was. (Lonnie) Boles developed a very ingenious indicator. I was also not aware that Rio was doing a 5/6 with tips now.

I learn so much here. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
DLoop

If I was buying a Meis 5/6 switch rod now, I would buy the WC 5/6 with tips. It is a different package than the other Rio tip packages. (less tips). However, it would cover 98% of the water where I use the 5/6 rod. Since I have the Air Flow 6 weight with tips and the Orvis clear intermediate tip, I will stick with them.

It casts the Boles indicator using the Scott Richmond technique of 36 inches of 40# maxima to connect the Boles indicator to the end of the WC 5/6 is very efficient and easy to lob cast.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
heavy spring kings need heavy metal

tuna,tuna,tuna,,,where's the `big tuna',,,,tuna,tuna,,,,:hehe:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts