Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my new sections for converting my 11' 4/5wt switch into a 13'9" 6wt. Super excited to wrap on the guides (2) and get out and give her a go. Put it together and gave it the "wiggle test" and I am super excited. As usual, superb work on the handle and quick shipping. Thanks Bob.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rod build complete

Finished wrapping on the guides and epoxing my 4/5 11' Meiser conversion to a 13'9" 6/7. I got out and tested a few lines I already have and boy is this a sweet heart of a rod. I casted a SGS 475 Skagit which was very sweet but a little short as it was designed for my 11'7" 6/7/8. Also threw a SGS 509 grain Skagit and that line flew as well. Being the right length helped. I also put my AFS 7/8 on and it kept barking the reel no matter how much line I stripped off. Skagit between 475-510 seems ideal and Scandi in the 460 range is also about perfect. Excited to also move to a longer line. Thinking Nextcast 45 in Winter Authority or Steelhead Finder. Really looking forward to getting out and fishing with my new rod. Love my Meisers.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now that is is winter I was reflecting back to my summer trips and the fun I had fishing the Meiser 13'9" 6wt Highlander Classic. I ended up purchasing the Rio Short Head Spey 6/7 at 42ft and 470 grains. A great line for off the shelf and plenty of power to turn over flies in Deschutes river wind. I love how smooth and effortless this rod casts and at almost 14' feet how light it feels in hand. I love winter steelheading but I can't help but be excited to fish this rod again next summer and fall. Thanks Meiser for making amazing fishing tools.

Seth

1 - 3 of 3 Posts