Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received my switch rod last week from Bob and WOW what a nice rod.

I am using a wincutter 7/8/9 with the middle section removed.

For the first testing I took it out to the beach to test it for overhead casting with large poppers. While my casting skill overhead is still in need of practice and was able to throw 80-90 feet into the wind without a problem. On grass I can throw the whole line but need more pratice on the pickup in the water. However I was throwing at least as far as I can with a single hander with significantly less effort. Looking forward to getting my stroke down and doing some more salt testing.

The next day I hit a local summer run river to put it through actually spey casting. This is where this rod really shines. Can easily throw 80+ feet of line with minimal effort. Single Speys, snake rolls , spiral singles all jump of the rod with nice tight loops (the rod made me look like I knew what I was doing :) ). Hell I even caught a fish on it the first time out. The rod is also an excellent fish fighting tool on top of everything else.

Also the rod is light and short enough to just fish it single handed (turbo spey) for real close in work. Made those 20-30 foot short casts really easy to control. Way more efficent than with a 13' or longer rod.

Flytyer I saw you mention you have not seen rods under 12 feet that spey cast all that well...I will being her down to the speyclave in November cause you have to try this rod. I think you will be surprised.

All in all I do not think I have cast a more versatile rod. My bigger rods still have a place , I just need to start carrying 2 rods with me when I fish cause this rod is so much fun to cast!

Also the fit and finish of the rod is what I have come to expect from Bob, beautiful. No other rod I have seen compares to the artistry and craftmanship Bob puts into these things.

Thanks Bob, can I have another:smokin:

-sean

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10 and a half feet. However I am not sure if that includes the extended bottom handle. Have not measured it.

Bob will probably chime in with the answer soon.

-sean

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Sweet!

I've got Bob's 8/9 13-6 rod and with a 7-8 xlt it's one of the most comfortable "all day" rods I've got.

Fellow really knows how to design a blank, and build a 'simi-custom' rod. The rods really are 'simi-custom,' and I know I'm repeating myself here, but he builds them for you. He's a 'one man operation' so you get what you order ... or he makes it right.

Very cool guy in person if you've not had the pleasure.

"Good on you" is a true statement from this gentle-man.
fae

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Sean re Bob Meiser's 8/9 switch rod review

Now you have entered the Bob Meiser fan club. I have 3 of his 10' 6" switch rods, his 5/6, 7/8 and his 9/10.

They work very well with my limited Spey Casts. They are the easiest for me for the Snake roll casts. With his 5/6 I can parachute a roll cast that is incredible and drop the fly into the seam with a mid air mend at 40 to 50'. This cast on the lower Chetco a couple of weeks ago enabled me to have a great time with some very nice cuts who thought they were in a safe place. A normal cast got caught in the fast water and dragged the fly. That high parachute with an up stream mid air mend stacked the line upstream as the fly fell down into the seam. If I did the cast correctly, I had a fish.

Mark at the US Flyshop, Sandy, Oregon, carries a great two rod/reel carrying case by Harding and sons. I carry one of Bob's rods and a Spey rod in the case to the river or stream. That way I have two different types of rods ready at the water's edge. (I'm hinting to the various Santa Claus's in my life that one or two more Harding Cases would be great. I have the Harding 4 section case for 15' rods. Bob's rods fit great and 7136, 7141 or 10151 (now that the sections are apart) fit in the second slot.

Right now Bob's new 5/6 and my 7136 are in the Harding Case reading if the wind dies down for a trip today to Putah Creek. For salmon or stripers, the case carries Bob's 9/10 and my 15101. For fall/winter/early spring the case carries Bob's 7/8 and my 7141.

We live in a wonderful time with Bob's rods and other great Spey rods, the great Rio lines and accessories like the Harding Spey Rod Cases.

·
Registered
7 Posts
great rod

I just had the opportunity to test drive one of Bob's 8/9 10'6 switch rods for 2wks. Great rod.

I fished it with my regular 8 wtfwd fl Cortland 444 and with my Rio wc 7/8/9. This rod did everything I asked it to with both lines and caught fish.

Turbo cast, traditional single hand casts and spey cast the 444 with ease 80-90' . Great to use when my 14'1" spey is too much. Mends like a dream.

It handled the windcutter as well as my spey rod and yet I could get around on the river easier with the shorter rod. I have a couple of spey rods that I really like one will go away now.

My new regular arsenal will be Bob's 8/9 10'6 switch and a 7141.

Great rod

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
purpleperil re your test runs with Bob Meiser's Switch Rods

You have joined Bob's fan club.

I have 3 of his switch rods, the 5/6, 7/8 and the 9/10. They cast every single handed line in their weight class with authority.

In the tighter quarters/rivers/streams, they will work where my 7136/7141/10151 are too long.

They seem to Snake Roll about as well as the Sage rods with a lot less effort.

The 5/6 goes out with my 7136. The 7/8 goes with my 7141, and the 9/10 goes out with my 10151. These combinations cover about every river condition you might end up in. Currently my 5/6 is in my 2 rod case with my 7136 with their reels, lines and leaders ready to go.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
We live in a wonderful time with Bob's rods and and accessories like the Harding Spey

Let's not forget Vac-Racs. I haven't had my (Spey) rods taken down since I got mine. Hang them on the wall in the garage, assembled, ready to go. When I go out, I simply put the Vac- Racs on the car, choose the rod(s), strap them down and away I go. Life is good.:cool:

><///('>
JD

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
JDJones re Vac Racs

Which Vac Racks did you buy, and do you drive with the reels on and how fast can you go?

·
JD
3,609 Posts
vac racs

They are just called Vac:Rac. I got them from Sportsmail Ltd. in the UK. 44.95 pounds sterling plus 14 pounds shipping. All told came to $82.59 I think. Malcolm (Willie Gunn) put me onto them. I've had them up to 80mph for short bursts passing trucks. The secret seems to be a clean, fairly flat mouning surface plus I slobber the cups with soft soap whan I put them on. PM me if you want thier URL.

><///('>
JD

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another Robert Meiser Rods fan

We are also Robert Meiser Rods fans. We are very lucky to have
three of his rods. About two years ago my husband went to Mexico fishing for the big fish--tuna, Ahi, Dorados etc. On one occasion he caught a big one and the fish took off under the boat,
tortured the rod, burned up the reel and landed a 45 lbs plus fish!!!

In particular I like the rods because of the feather inlays and feather work which has nothing to do with function---just awesome design.

Meiser is not one to boast about himself. His work has been
featured in many magazines and trade shows.

Kate Davidson
siskiyouaviary.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Kate, good post ... also glad to see another ..

'fem. touch' in the guys Board. And your right, Bob is a great guy, who builds a very good rod.Bob's rods are two of Fred's most used bits of equipment.
jed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts