Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past Thursday, Bob Pauli and I were on the Russian River below Geyersville, Ca..

We ended up casting a lot of my rods and a couple of his.

We discovered that the Rio Outbound 8 wt floating line didn't load the Meiser 5/6 Switch rod. We tried one of Bob's bigger WCer lines without tips 1 and 2. This worked better, but that combo didn't work great.

Then, we put Rio's Outbound 10 wt floating line* wth the 5/6 Switch rod. It worked well and we didn't have to work as hard as with the WC. It worked very well with a 10' leader and a couple of feet of tippet and with Rio's 7' type sinking tip/leader and size 4 and 6 flies.:)

I was able to cast 50' to 70' with a Double Spey Skagit and a Snake Roll. Bob was :saeek: clearing out the brush on the other side with casts of 80' to 90+ feet :Eyecrazy: . We were able to cast further and easier when we brought the head past the tip about 5-6'.

When combined with my Sage 5120, ;) there will not be much trout water in my area that can't be covered and basically effortlessly with these two light rods.

*425 Grain head.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi Grampa Spey,I wanted to ask you how is the memory on the running line of the Rio Outbound?I have quite a few Airflo 40+ lines and the memory is excellent and they shoot fantastic.Have you casted any 40+ lines,and if so could you compare and comment on the advantages and disadvantages of both?I'm thinking of purchasing an Outbound #11 or #12 as the 40+ only goes to a #9 line(single-hand WF line).Thanx.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Dave,
Meiz's rods are sweet! Thanks for letting me at them.

For those interested, the WC10.11.12, minus tip 2 was heavy. I think a WC9.10.11, minus tip 2 [weighing ≈470 grains] would be well worth trying.

Bob

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re memory on the Outbounds

Cannon said:
Hi Grampa Spey,I wanted to ask you how is the memory on the running line of the Rio Outbound?I have quite a few Airflo 40+ lines and the memory is excellent and they shoot fantastic.Have you casted any 40+ lines,and if so could you compare and comment on the advantages and disadvantages of both?I'm thinking of purchasing an Outbound #11 or #12 as the 40+ only goes to a #9 line(single-hand WF line).Thanx.
You do have to pull on the running lines of the Outbound to reduce the memory as it will really coil up. Cold water will make it coil up if you didn't stretch it before fishing/casting. They have a short video on the Rio Website on how to get rid of the coils. The method shown works.

However, I found the best way to reduce memory for a longer period of time and have it last for more than one fishing trip is to have two people pull the extended running line from opposite directions. Or you can put the running line around a post and then pull on it after you have extended. Bob Pauli and I did the two person/two handed pull, and the running lines were straight all afternoon with no memory.

Both the OB floating lines and sinking lines are superb fly lines for overhand/underhand casting and single spey casting besides Spey and Skagit Casting with them. The mending capability with the OBs is out standing. The running line stiff/strong enough to be held up over the water and past the head for a few feet to reduce water tension during a drift with a nymph.

The heads of the floating lines are 37' long. Both the floating OB line and OB sinking line can be cast from a boat with one of Meiser's Switch Rods.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts