Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
On the Columbia River,B.C
Single hand rod 63 years, Spey 12 years Fly tying 63 years
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one tried a single hand line on these rods for dry fly fishing? If so what weights and how did they cast.
Bjay

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Mine is what Bob used to call a System II- I think it would be equivalent to the 4/5- I use a afs 4/5 or a 300 grain skagit on it.

The 6 wt Airflow 40+ works well as a scandi, and also overheads well. Maybe a touch heavy for consistent overhead, but it allows going back and forth between overhead and scandi casting. In AK I did everything from mousing to fishing small dries for grayling and char on that rod/line combo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 5/6 Meiser switch rod, I fish it with a 250 grain Skagit head mostly swinging (Streamers & Mice in Alaska), some single handed casting and surf casting int he ocean. Have not tried with a single hand type line but interested in knowing how works as well....

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Can cast a regular trout line (rio gold) two handed overhead on a similar 10' 6" Meiser. Over-line a bit for overhead - a bit more if you want to try to use the trout line for spey casts. Realizing that I could overhead dries with passable delicacy (on an earlier similar light weight switch), and with OK accuracy if needed, has caused me to switch to two-handed rods for almost everything trouty. :) With the right wt trout line it works OK for dries, and it is superior (to me at least) for everything else especially when you use the right line for the job.

So for example (and this is just me) on the 10' 6" 4/5 spey I might use a 6 wt rio gold for dries(overhead), a 5 or 6 wt Wulff ambush for streamers (snake rolls), and maybe even 5wt spedicator for indicator fishing. For plain nymphing where maybe the line doesn't matter too much, the longer rod works great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts