Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Meiser 12'6" 3/4/5 a year or so ago after Bob loaned me a 4/5/6 to take on a Bristol Bay trip. Loved the rod he let me borrow, but while it was perfect for big Alaskan rainbows it would have been overpowering for what I normally see here. I finally got a chance to take the 3/4/5 to Alaska last week along with a rod Bob built for my son, the 9'9" two handed "Trouter". Loaded everything into a Super Cub on tundra tires and flew out through the Alaska Range for 5 days.

The 3/4/5 handled everything efficiently up to 29". I wasn't lucky enough to catch a fish over 29" but it felt like I was getting to that point where it would be a challenge to put the right amount of pressure on a larger fish. Largest on the 9'9" was a fat 24"er. It was fun and the rod held the fish fine, but when we started to consistently catch larger fish I didn't use it.

Best fly of the trip was a basic egg sucking leech. All the fancy intruder style, sculpzilla style, etc... we threw before "stepping down" to an ESL couldn't compare. Next best was a simple string leech with a bit of flash when the water got a little dirty.

Amazing place. Fun to fish on a double handed rod. As my friend said on the last day, "It is more fun to miss a fish on a swung fly than it is to catch a fish on beads."

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
My 11'7 3/4/5 Meis was perfect up in AK last summer. Loved it for mousing and swinging sculpins.

And your buddy is right- I caught about 3 char up there on beads several years ago. I'd rather do just about anything else, I don't care how many fish you can catch.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
The tug is the drug! I have a ultra light switch that is a ton of fun with fish up to 5-7lbs but a 14inch cutthroat is too!!!!

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Lopp Classic. I sold it, prefer Perfects. A 3 5/8 is….. well shoot, just absolutely right on the money on the rod. Some would say perfect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts