Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a sage 8150 and it does fine with a windcutter 8/9/10 with tips but it dose not turn over a weight fly very well. So I am looking for a 15' rod in the 8/9 wt class that will turn over a heavly weighted fly. My preference would be a progrerssive action with a lighter tip, something like the T&T 1509. Is the Meiser 15'er what I am looking for? I have not cast it yet but I will in time, most likley at the Sandy Spey Clave.
thanks
Mike

·
JD
3,612 Posts
choices

Choose the fly. Then choose a line that will cast the fly. Then chose a rod that will cast the line. Funny how we tend to forget the line and want to go out and spend big bucks on a new stick. :hihi: Not that Meise's rods are not a good thing to have. There is no such thing as a bad spey rod. They just have yet to meet the right line. :D

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if the WC 8/9/10 I am using is not the right line to turn over heavy flies them what other lines should I try? it casts this line very well. I am not much of a caster but I can almost shoot enough line to get to the backing knot.
Mike

·
JD
3,612 Posts
Lines

swingndeep said:
So if the WC 8/9/10 I am using is not the right line to turn over heavy flies then what other lines should I try? it casts this line very well. I am not much of a caster but I can almost shoot enough line to get to the backing knot.
Mike
The 8/9/10 Windcutter will work well on the 8150. It just doesn't have the balls to carry a big, heavy fly. You might try a 9/10/11, even a 10/11/12 Windcutter minus the tip two section. Or a 550 or 650 grain Skagit line, which is basically the same thing minus all the tips. You would still need to add a fifteen to twenty foot tip section to a Skagit line, but you can use the tips from your 8/9/10 WC. Or just make up a tip using T-14.

I'm assuming a sink tip since you are talking about heavy flies. What you are after is mass. It takes a lot of mass to push a heavy fly. The Grand Spey lines are also good with big flies. But they are long belly lines and are not designed for shooting.

What are you trying to cast? Some flies do not work as well with some casts, at least for me. For example, a heavily weighted fly on a fifteen foot leader, single spey cast. I have found a circle, or snap-T works better. Six inch bunny leeches are a ***** with anything but a Skagit line. Again, at least for me. They soak up a lot of water. Big, heavy flies are just hard to turn over with a long leader. A sink tip has a lot of mass compressed into a fine diameter and that, combined with the shorter leader, is much more capable of delivering those types of flies.

Oh, btw, the current thinking on Skagit lines; is head length should equal 3 to 3-1/2 times rod length. So for your 8150, you would need a line 45 to 52-1/2 feet long. This includes whatever length sink tip you are going to use. Back up here,,,,at this length, we are almost back to the full length of a Wincutter. Hmmm,,,,,maybe that is why the shorter rods are more popular for Skagit casting. :whoa:

Wait 'till the Sandy Clave to talk to people and play with all this stuff before you make any decisions.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I would suggest the Scott ARC 1509 - great progressive taper rod that will handle heavy tips and flies with ease! I throw a Delta 9/10 or even 10/11 on it with heavy tips and it does nicely. I also have used the 9/10 xlt cut back at 26 feet for tips and it is an awsome tip line with big flies!!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am really not to interested in learning to Skagit cast. My over all goal here is to have two rods one that I use mostly for tips work and one I use mostly for dry line work. The 8150 throughs a beautiful dry line so I want a tips rod. My thinking is that for me a progressive action rod will be better for casting tips then a traditional action rod, maybe, maybe not. I will find out at the Sandy Spey Clave when I cast some rods. The point of this post was to see if any one had any experence with meisers 15' ers so I could get an idea of there power.
Mike

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Hi Mike - I plan to be at the Sandy and will have the Scott so you can try it with a couple of different lines. Expect Robert's rods will be in abundance also!!

Best regards,
Rick J

·
Registered
445 Posts
...........MJYP, I'm saying a robin is small potatoes to the Loop Grey 15'. As far as turning over a heavy fly, my 14' Loops and T&T will turn over 20' of T-14, and a waterlogged bunny leech on a 8910 WC.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Mike
Yes I have cast a number of Bobs 15' rods and they were all very impressive. They all had power to spare within there line designations and I think you will be in for a pleasant surprise when the sandy clave comes around. Would like to give more detailed info but that would ruin the surprise!!!! :hihi:

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Brian,

I've been chomping at the bit to give some info on these Meiser 15'er, but have been holding off until the Sandy Clave is over.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Gather you're all going to get you wishes ... Meis will have a large sellection of rods at both the Golden Gate and Sandy 'Claves. I've had the chance to cast several of his new 'proto rods' of late; many GREAT things coming off his drawing board. From 10-6 switch rods to two new 16 footers.

Forgot to add: Jimmy, GREAT answer above.
Fred

·
loco alto!
3,053 Posts
For fun I experimented with JD's 8150 advice and tried a WC 9/10/11 cut to 29' (includes rear taper) + 15' of 10 wt tips. The 44' head casts a 4" barbell bunny leech just fine, and it was easy to shoot 50' of running line. Lengthened the belly 3' with same results. Every time I think of selling this rod, I just can't.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Skgit line for the 8150

SSpey built a skgit line for the 8150 and now I can turn over everything in my box with out hesitation. What impressed me the most about this line was the ease at which I was casting a lead eye intruder. Which I could not even get out of the water with the windcutter 8/9/10. It was so easy I would not have believed it if I wasn't casting it. So I guess I will have to lean to Skgit cast now.
mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts