Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone would like to comment on similarities and differences between Meiser 15 ' 7/8/9 vs. Solstice 15'2” 7/8/9.
How they cast with XLT wt.7 ( 780 gr , 90' head) and Grand Spey ( 700 gr, 75' head)?

I do have limited experience with CND Solstice 14'3” 7/8/9 and 7/8 Rio Midspey floater.
Any major differences between Meiser Highlander 15' 7/8/9 and 14' 7/8/9 ?

Martin

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Really the only similarities are that they are both around 15 feet and rated a 7/8. The Solstice is a much more delicate and sensitive rod, the Meiser a cannon.

The Solstice with 7/8 Grandspey wants a nice easy delivery with no punch, just go through the motions and the rod will perform. Try to crank it and the loops open up at best, folds the rod at worst. This is not a knock on the rod, I liked it a lot, it is just a rod to be cast, not powered.

The Meiser is a fast progressive with a hearty butt section and is capable of throwing an entire 7/8 XLT, will carry a serious amount of line and will take all you can throw at it. Down sides are it's lack of feel into the hands (for me, others have said they were fine with it) and the Solstice will finesse cast in close better.

You like to finesse from 30 to 90 feet, the Solstice is the rod. You want to boom em out there, get the Meiser.

·
Banned
501 Posts
The Solstice with 7/8 Grandspey wants a nice easy delivery with no punch, just go through the motions and the rod will perform.

Can you do the same with the Highlander 15' ?

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Today I cast the Solstice 15' 2" 7/8/9 with the CND line and it was a pleasure. Very smooth and easy. The Meiser 15' 7/8/9 is truly a cannon. It is the only rod I have cast a Snobee 2D to the backing knot. Can't go wrong with either.

Rich

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
bolen said:
The Solstice with 7/8 Grandspey wants a nice easy delivery with no punch, just go through the motions and the rod will perform.

Can you do the same with the Highlander 15' ?
Yes. This rod easily casts the same length of line, and will beg for more. The difference in feel with the 75 feet of line out you mentioned is that the CND will flex right down into your hands and wants a bit more of a smooth easy forward cast whereas the Meiser will want you to apply a little power to the forward stroke to dig into the rod and find it's power. The CND, will load itself, just let it unload. The Meiser, dig in, stop hard, hang on:saeek:

·
Registered
55 Posts
meiz vs cnd

Take the meiz. I have one and after making the decision I got my hand s on a cnd sol. I am glad that I made the right choice for me, however, its only my opinion. I feel the cnd is a fine rod but I can work just as much water with other 14fters. I feel if I am going to be waiving a 15ft rod around, I want it to act like one. The meizer is possibly the most enjoyable 15 I have seen or cast. XLT to the knot no probs with meiz....cnd can too, but it takes some real work and I can't take that all day long.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have had a totally different experence with my meiser. The only difference is that I use the old 6/7 xlt on mine. It casts with little effort and it has the feel I need at 75 feet. Yes at the end of the day I'm beat but it is a 15'er.
Mike

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Snap-T said:
The meizer is possibly the most enjoyable 15 I have seen or cast. XLT to the knot no probs with meiz....cnd can too, but it takes some real work and I can't take that all day long.
Last time I saw my backing knot, I had a yellowfin tuna on a 9wt:D But seriously, I think it speaks volumes to both Meizer and CND's approach to rod building and marketing that all the reviews so far match how the rods are described in their catalogs! How rare is that?

I personally love the Solstice's action, and while it can definitely cover the whole calendar, it seems the Meiser might be a better four season rod. I just have enough, read that as TOO MANY, other rods that need time on the river to use a long 7/8/9 in winter. My solstices have floating lines only, maybe an intermediate tip, and the slow, relaxed, long strokes fits my mood fine during late summer and fall. If I had a need for a true four season rod for medium-large to big honkin' rivers in 7-8-9, Meiser would probably be it. Well, between these two companies anyway :hihi:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts