Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cast this rod on Saturday at Aaron's weekly class and was expecting nothing but the best; however, when I picked it up and cast it, i was completely blown away!

This rod handled the Carron 9/10 with ease, cranking out line just by thinking about it. The action was smooth as silk and flawless with no hint of weakness or bounce anywhere along the rods blank. Meiser and Brian really dialed this rod in and made one hell of a stick. Good on them!! There were no tips to be cast on it; however, I am sure it will throw them with no problems!

Thanks to Brian for letting us cast the 14'er and to Meiser for again making these awesome rods.

vinnie

·
Registered
630 Posts
Thought I would add a little history on the rod. The 14' grease liner is based off of the excellent " Eve" taper that has been such a success as of late. This rod was designed with the long line caster in mind for line wt's in the 8/9 category and head lengths of 65' to 80' or as long a line as you can cast with a 14' rod. Also, it had to be able to cast these lines with sinktips and still retain that bit of soul that Bobs rods are famous for, I feel it does this with power to spare!!! I have been told if all goes well it will be accompanied by a 15' and a 16' version for the series, I am crossing my fingers that these rods come to be. I want to say thanks to Bob for putting in the time and expense to make this rod a success.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Vinnie,

This new line of rods (14', 15', 16', and now an 18' in development) from Meiser are smooth casting, fast, progressive sticks with a wonderful feel. They work well with anything from long-bellies to short-bellies.

And the MKS (Mike Kinney Special) rods Mesier has developed for skagit head, short-belly lines are also surprising those who try them.

As you are prone to say Meiz, "Good on you" for developing these rods.

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
I also had the pleasure of tossing the 14' Highlander around. It has some serious power in a light feeling rod.
I look forward to throwing some tips on it. It should be a cannon with out the cannon feel.
The MKS series tosses a longer line very well also. I can't wait for some more goodies to come up are way!
Thanks Bob!!!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Vinnie
I as well want a chance to cast that 18'. Rumor has it some guy in scotland wearing a kilt is putting it through its paces as a tournament rod. Hope to get more news on this soon!

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Last week i had the good fortune to spend 2 days on the Rogue river with Mike Kinney and Bob Meiser, Mike was holding a 2 day clinic that i attended, a great clinic. I got to cast the 14' 9/10 with a carron line and it was a cannon, a great rod Bob. the rods that also impressed me were the MKS 13'6" 7/8 and 8/9 what great fishing tools they are. Mike and Bob told me they would also cast long belly lines so on the sunday i brought a new Rio 7/8 Grand Spey to try on them. I only got to cast it on the 13'6" 7/8 as some one else was using the 8/9 and would not put it down(LOL) but i was impressed. It would pick up the head and a 15' leader with no problems. these rods will handle a long belly with no problems at all. Well done Bob and mike.
tight lines,brian

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Brian,

I forgot to mention in my first post on this that Meiser told me last week the 16' rods in both 8/9 and 9/10 are finished development and are now available to those who want one. These new rods (14', 15', and 16') are being called the Highlander Series and I am also am thankful that Bob put the effort and money into their development.

·
Registered
630 Posts
That is very good news!!!! If they are anything like the 14' then they will be excellent rods. Looking forward to casting these soon!!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
The Highlander eh?

Brian, so am I to understand that you and Meiz dialed this rod in? In other words, if I buy this rod too, I'll cast just like you? Oh please let it be so.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I was given a Joe Namath autographed football when I was a kid and I was able to throw just like him...in my own mind anyway. So Matt if this works for you, and you are able to cast like Brian, I will need to get one too. I saw him casting on Sunday. So smooth and efficient.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Matt
You don't want my bizarre hybrid casting stroke :chuckle: , we can do better than that. The boss AKA Arron gave alot of input on this as well, Meiz was nice enough to take that info and make it work and give us a really good rod.

Dloop, Nice to see ya on sunday. Kinda reminded me of being on the Cow with all the boats up and down the river. Should have brought the head phones!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts