Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished wrapping, finishing, and now casting my first spey, the Meiser S2H 14' 8/9. Even with my very limited experience, I can tell this is going to be a treat and a versatile fishing tool.

I've lined this rod with the 8/9 Midspey and am very happy with the feel. Does anybody have recommendations for a short belly line which performs well on this rod? I'll probably end up with a spool of line for medium size river winter fishing eventually. I have Meiser's recommendations and am leaning toward the Delta 8/9, but would like to get a variety of opinions.

·
Registered
640 Posts
You've got the gold already.

Bob's rods aren't off-the-shelf mass productions, so I'd start with what Bob recommends. He gets those rods in the hands of numerous skilled folks in the process of field testing, not to mention his own significant understanding of the rods, their varied uses, strengths, etc.

Carl

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have to agree with you completely, Carl, Meiser has been giving me great recommendations in every regard and whenever asked. Seeing as these are designed for mid to long belly lines, and as I am a begining caster, just was hoping to get input on if anybody has cast this with a Delta 8/9, or WC 9/10/11 (both on Meiser's list) and how they liked it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
is this the 5 piece? If so I cast a wc 9/10/11 and a ms 9/10 on mine. Both are fine, but I feel a tad heavy.

I would guess a ms 8/9 for tips and a gs 8/9 for dry are what I will end up with but I have already spent so much on lines those will have to wait.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, this is the 5 piece 14' 7/8/9 or 8/9 (I've seen it called both). Not to be confused with the 8/9/10 (or the "cannon" as Bob might call it)

drbfish, I would think (with limited casting experience) the 8/9 Midspey loads the rod just fine as opposed to the 9/10. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts