Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by River Run Anglers yesterday and Aaron was just finishing a line for Meiser's 13' 5/6 rod so we went out back on the grass to give it a try. I have never cast a 5 wt. so far. 80' switch casts and 80' to 90' overhead casts. I even got one overhead cast out 100'. (Aaron has a spot marked which is 100' to the fence. I hat the fence with one cast.) Aaron can hit the fence often. Looks like I will have to start saving up for another Meiser rod.

Rich

·
fly on little wing
1,116 Posts
STOP teasing me

I'll be getting one to test drive soon and I can't wait. I should see the 13' 6/7 this week. I want to see how these two sticks compare. One will find a very loving home.

Gary

·
Registered
194 Posts
100' casts with a trout rod...now this introduces a new problem. When throwing medium to small fry flies, how in the world are you supposed to spot your fly out there that far?

I was having trouble today at half that distance.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Meiser 13' 5/6 line choice

I have had the great pleasure in helping develope this rod blank as well as the 3 other 13 footers. These new rods turned out awesome, not surprising from the great spey house they come from. The 5/6 is the most progressive of the 4 blanks and for the mid mark want 410 grains of head weight. However it has a broad power range and for some casters can go as low as 330 grains of head up to maybe 500 grains for others. One of my favorites is the Windcutter 5/6 with tips at @365 grains but this line has a short head at @ 48 feet. For a longer belly and to carry more line in the cast, shooting less, I am using a Rio Salmon Steelhead 8 and/or 9. This line features a 12' bullet front taper, a very long fine 24' rear taper with a total head of 66'. I have cut the line at the end of the rear taper, looped the running line and both ends of the head. I flip the head putting the 24' taper forward, for far and fine dry line work. I put the bullet head taper forward to attach 15' Rio Tips, clear int thru type 8. Single hand 8wt Rio heads work well. I have basically built a Windcutter taper with a longer head. On the North Umpqua in big water recently, I cast this rod with a 15' compensator behind a 15' type 8 sink tip all day. My favorite cast with this set up is the circle spey both right and left bank. It handled this combination extremely well. No longer will I need the bigger 8 weight speys for heavy water swing. If you indicator with a two handed rod, this is a gem. Loop your nymphing leader to the bullet end and it will cast and MEND quite nicely.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Carl,

I'd be interested to know what line Rich and Aaron were using as well....More often then not it's the guys in the field that really dial in the lines.

I have a couple of line suggestions for the 13' 5/6 that have worked very well for our Half pounders and Summer fish in Nor. Kali and S. Oregon and Coastal Trout as well. These lines will also work very well on my 11'6" 5/6/7 and the new 4 pc. faster action 11'7".

Because our Rogue Summer fish (for example) get so "Trouty" in often times low water Summer conditions, many of our local anglers will high stick through the deeper volcanoc slotted bottoms that wiil often times hold the fish. Some will use Indys, or high stick....But there are also plenty of classic gravely tailouts that can be classic style swung through while fishing thin or thick and skated/hitched.

These conditions are also typical for our Smallmouth waters on the Umpqua, the John Day to the north, and Shad on the Klamath/American drainages. I would have to think that these lines would also work on many GL tribs as well, as they are so very similar tou our smaller/medium sized PAC NW rivers.

At a true 5/6, there are not really that many lines out there yet that will fill the bill, so one must get creative.

A couple of lines put together by a Rogue Fly Guide: Steve Godshall, will work very well on all of the mentioned rods and river types.

.... And I would have to think on other small line two handers like those made by other Mfgr's equally as well.

A very versatile/muiti purpose dry line for the mentioned rods woud be the Rio "Salmon Steelheader"single hander in either 8 or 9 wts.

Modify in this fashion to be used for the 13' 5/6/7, 11'6" 5/6/7, or the 11'7" 5/6/7 for dry line work.

1. Cut off the very small bottom taper of the Rio "SS" and make a loop.

2. Cut at the intersection of the running line and the back taper, and make two loops.

If the line is to be used with sinking tips, simply loop the tip to the front and leave the line in it's original cofiguration....And choose tip sink rate and balanced grainage to meet the situation.

If the line is to be used as a high sticker, indicator, or for dry line classic swing....REVERSE the ends of the main belly and loop up the running line, and use the floating tip.

In either configuration, it allows a 66 ft. main belly....Perfect as you are not using the small dia. running line for mending in any of the above presentations.

This line really does load-up nicely, and should work for MANY applications in "Trouty" situations for the smaller two handed rod.

Another clever line set up done by Steve:

Using the Rio WC Spey for 5/6 floater....Especially for the 13' for 5/6

1. Cut the tip at 15' and again use tips with sink rates and grainage to match the situation....Steveeven uses his to type 8 sink rate for Steelies with the 13' for 5/6.

3. Build a COMPENSATOR using a compatable grainage 15' intermediate sink tip and loop onto the remaining belly plus the sinking tip.

...This used if more delivery authority or depth is required for the 5/6 weight rods.

Again, this set-up really does fire off easy distance with classic deliveries, and really ups- the- anty for fly presentations.

Off the shelf lines like the Mach-1 series at 340 grains (the 8/9) or the 9/10....Not grained the 9/10 but my guess is around 425 or so ?......Aaron help me !!!!!!.......Do work very well for the shorter two hande rods. AirFlow poly tips are the ticket with these lines.

Also consider the SA 50' belly lines at 6/7 wt. They do also make excellent base lines for tip systems to diversify applications of the light line weight two hander.

At any rate, this should get some creative juices flowing for perhaps other cool line systems for the smaller two handed rods.

MEIZ

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Very cool Steve.

....You were typing as I was.

You did a much better job of expalining the lines...You really got my attention with these lines, and I am sure that many will benefit from this information.

BTW the 11'7" will be ready for the boat on Mon. evening if you wish to christen it.

Meiz

·
fly on little wing
1,116 Posts
Hi SPG

Thanks for the post.

Bob is sending me the 5/6 and 6/7. I plan to use a DT8F and DT9F to get a feel for how these rods load. I don't have access to lots of different lines and the DT's are marked off so I know the grainage. I thought about using the Rio SS line to simulate the MS (fan of MS) and you confirmed what I was thinking.

Gary

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Yes it will cast that far on the water also.

The spey lines I have been working one for the 5/6 Meiser 13ft 5/6 are based on three lines
5/6 Rio Windcutter
6/7 Rio Midspey
8/9 Hardy Mach
8/9 Loop Adapted line.

It is still to early to say but the rod can cast and does
I am still working on my dry line for Summer work and feel that I getting closer.

Here is the Hardy Mach 1 data

HARDY MACH I WF 8/9 12 meters 39ft 21 grams 324 grains
HARDY MACH I WF 9/10 14.5 meters 47.5ft 30 grams 463 grains
HARDY MACH I WF 10/11 15.9 meters 52 feet 42 grams 648 grains

I will post more when I get some more results.

Aaron
:smokin:

·
fly on little wing
1,116 Posts
USPS delivered for me

Great News!

I have the 13' 5/6 and 13' 6/7 in my wintered/weathered hands. Thanks Bob! I got to give them a good waggle today. Very nice. Oh, I can't wait to line them tomorrow. Only one problem, my river is totally blown. Last weekend the flow was 3200 cfs and today it's a whopping 12,900 cfs. It'll make for a very quick swing.

Gary

·
fly on little wing
1,116 Posts
horizontal snow and flood warnings

greeted me while I tested the 5/6. I had 52' to 60' of line out plus a 10' leader on a DT9F with a 5/32 tungsten bead head fly. No problems. I also overhead casted a DC300. No problems. It was hard to tell how much lift I could get since the river was a gushing and there was not much time for sinking. I'll report more later this week. I think the DT8F will be a very interesting test. The 6/7 will also be put to the test. BTW, these are some serious pieces of graphite. My compliments to the designer and also to Bob. These are wrapped and detailed nicely.

Gary

P.S. the river is now at 16,300 cfs

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Rio salmon steelhead that is being modified. I've looked at the Rio products page and can't find it. Is it an out of production line?

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Leroy...

I think the line Bob is referring to is the "Steelhead and Atlantic Salmon". It is on page 3 of the current catalogue. WF3-WF10, 110' overall. On the WF9 model shown the head is 66', with the belly 33', the back taper 24', and the front taper & tip being 9'.

"Wild $teelhead C&R gives me a thrill, why don't we all make it the drill"

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
SPG, Meiz

Sounds like we should run a steroid drug test on Meiz's new 5/6, 13' rod: ;)

"The 5/6 is the most progressive of the 4 blanks and for the mid mark want 410 grains of head weight. However it has a broad power range and for some casters can go as low as 330 grains of head up to maybe 500 grains for others. One of my favorites is the Windcutter 5/6 with tips at @365 grains but this line has a short head at @ 48 feet. For a longer belly and to carry more line in the cast, shooting less, I am using a Rio Salmon Steelhead 8 and/or 9."

As I tell people with a new Meiz rod, the real challenge is to find a fly line that doesn't work with the rods. :cool:

My son, Chris, the CroMag Caster is finding that out. We bought him a Meiz 12 weight big critter thrower and big fish hauler. He is the engineer type, Who designs and cuts his shooting heads as well as using off the shelf heads. Once he got used to the rod, he has been using all sort of heads re length and weight for 90 to 100' plus casts from his boat with some really big critter flies.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Rio Atlantic Salmon Steelhead Line

MJC

You are correct about the line that is working well with the Meis/Anderson 13' 5/6 rod. The progressive nature of this rod allows a lot of lines to fit, but line choice should depend on ones casting style. I like this line because you can add heads, including sink tip with compensators to the end of the line. With the line cut and looped and flipped at the running line you have a seamless long 24' front taper for far and fine work with traditional flies, (skunks, hiltons and tiger paw type flies) up to size 4, no weight. This line and 4 tips, (Rio single handed 15' heads, intermediate, 3,6,8 for 8wt at 109 grains) and you have all conditions covered. For indicator and heavy nymph work go back to the short taper, no heads but heavy mono, indicator, tippet and flies. This systems casts and MENDS very well.

Up in Eugene for the Fly Tying Expo over the weekend I had an oppertunity to fish the Middle Willamette with Guide Brian from the Walterville Fly Shop. The steelies were not in yet, but had a nice float and saw some great swinging water. Brian says that these winter fish will take a swinging wet fly very aggressively, something we do not see down on the Rogue. This rod and line combo cast effortless all day thru run after run. It is ideal classic spey water, cast/step/swing and nobody is using a spey up there, hardly anybody fly fishes it. Anybody in this area with a spey rod should get on this river in April. Get a report from Brian before you go. Brian is very new to spey but enthusiastic. SPG

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Had my first opportunity to use this rod Monday..

afternoon on the Applegate river. Didn't have my chest waders on, so limited as to where I could fish on the run. Best water had a high bank right behind my butt .. and I do mean right 'behind.'

Rod was rigged with a 'Scan type' shooting head (330+/- grains) about 40'ish foot long and Airflo running line looped behind. Initially had trouble getting the rod to cast well (and loop connector through the tip-top) until (again, another Dah Fred) 'do the Perry Poke.'

ZOOM! Even with my butt up against the wall (zero back cast/D loop room) my next problem was to lighten up on my cast to keep the fly out of the trees on the other side of the river.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts