Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what guys think of the Meiser 1266 S ? I already own a MKS 13'6 7/8 and a 10'6 4/5 trouter. I just put in my order for the 1226 S and was curious what lines were used and overall opinion. From the rods I already own , Bob suggested the 1226. I have no doubt at all it is the perfect choice. I have full trust in Bob. Thanks !

·
Registered
153 Posts
If Bob is building the rod then get Steve to custom cut a line for you. Steve is great to talk to and after building the first line he keeps a record to look up and compare to for the next time.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Exactly!

If Bob is building the rod then get Steve to custom cut a line for you. Steve is great to talk to and after building the first line he keeps a record to look up and compare to for the next time.
Steve Gotshall's got all of Bob's rods 'dialed in.' (And almost any other 2haner?) The questions he will have for you are 'how do you fish, for what, size and type of fly, etc.' Each of his lines is a 'one off,' you and I may have the same rod, but our choice of how to fish can be very different.

·
Administrator
19,122 Posts
I don't own any S-series, only Highlanders and MKS series.
Bob custom built a 12'6" 6/7 MKS which is similar to the one you ordered. Steve built a Skagit and two multi-tip Skandits, one floating belly and the other an intermediate belly and sent the matching tips for everything :smokin:
Both Bob and Steve take the guess work out of matching lines for your sticks :)

Mike

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
you'll receive an SGS line with your rod, that's the starting point.

Think carefully what style of fishing you primarily want to use the rod for, ie Skagit/Scandit/Scandi/Shortbelly spey, and ask for that head. Steve will produce a head specifically balanced to that rod based on the individualized load testing data of that rod. He dials it to a single grain.

After you've had it on the river for awhile, you may want to try other lines on the rod (you're not cheating on Meiz and Steve, they encourage experimentation. Once in awhile you hit gold! and discover new things about the rod or there's new developments in your cast. A good rod will do that, lead you down new pathways.)

My 13' 6wt S with a 420 compact scandi is an absolutely effortless all-day 100 foot rod. I've had people ask me whether my hands actually moved during the cast. No kidding, has happened a few times now. That's how sweet it can get, and I wish that for you.

Welcome to the gang.:saevilw:

·
Registered
757 Posts
Whew! I'm not the only one who likes a 420 grain scandi on that rod. I tried Steve's line, then a 390 grain, and finally upped it. Like you, casting is effortless and the leader straightens out every time (well, almost). It takes some experimenting to find out what works. One great thing about Speypages is that the lines you experimented with and didn't work, are sold.

Mark

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
Have you tried a poly on the 390? it should go like a razor with that little extra bit of mass.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for all the info and past experience with this rod. I have the 390 and 420 so I'll give both a go and see what I like most.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Yes, all lines were cast with a poly intermediate leader. Odd, but the heavier line works best for me, although it probably is considered overlining the rod. Someday I will try a 390 again to see. I still have one. Mark

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
casting style evolves with time and preferences with it.
On some rods I find myself using lines that run average 30 gr lighter than I used to consider a good match for the rod, because I include the poly as part of the cast weight-very unlike Skagit calc- and my casting has become more efficient with years of practice while fishing.

That 390 could come in handy sometime. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts