Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
I was wondering what your preferences were for a rod of 15-16 ft. in length? Here in newfoundland, Canada, A rod of this length is not so much needed for fishing, with the exception of maybe 2 rivers, but I really want a play toy:D ,, and well a bit of fishing I guess:rolleyes:
I realize that the wind must really affect the forward loop at these casting lengths which is probably why most of these rods come in 10/11+ line wt. Ratings; But if I could get some of your opinions on nice 15-16 ft., 8-10 wt. Rods that would be great.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
May I suggest you look at Bob Meiser's rods in these lengths, especially his new 16 footer(s). I'm not a 'real long rod' fan, but I just purchased a 16 from him.:D

Our river conditions (width, etc.) have little call for a rod over 14' here on the upper Rogue; but I wanted one anyway. First time I lined the rod (Carron 9/10) my second cast had me pulling the fly out of the trees across the river.:(

·
Registered
344 Posts
if money is no problem then the loomis 16' greased line rod is sweet. I just cast it a couple of weekends ago and it is a great long belly line. Meisers 15' MKS is another awesome rod, I cast it with a Nextcast 95' line and it rocked. I also love his 15' and 16' in the 8/9/10 wt range. I just got a 15'2" Diawa that is a power house and then some. All great rods.

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Hey Mitch.
I have a Redington 'redfly" 15' 10wt 3-pc that you are more than welcome to borrow. While not top of the line by many standards,, it is a great rod for the money and if the action suits you then these rods should give you years of service. I am quite happy with it and have thought of selling it in the past as the T&T 1409-3 will suffice,, but not sure anymore. As i said, your welcome to hang onto it for a while and feel it out,, or at the very least,, get a feel for a 15'er. Let me know and I'll bundle her up and get her off to you. I'll pay shipping here and you pay return?
Dwayne

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

That Sounds good Dwayne! I will Take you up on that offer once things start to defrost here, I'll keep you posted on that one buddy. What lines have you tried on it?

Keep the recommendations coming. What about the CTS 16' #8/9, Seems really light for a 16'er? but I've herd all good things about this rod, anyone have any experience with it,, Care to elaborate?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mitch,
I'm using a Loomis greaseliner 15' for a 8/9. It is smooth and flexes nicely to the butt. I am having good luck with a Grand Spey 9/10 at 900grains. This is the older line with tips. The SA XLT 8/9 also matches the rods flex very well but is a little more demanding of good technique.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
I'm partial to the CND 16'1" Solstice. Its as lovely an 8/9 as you would ever want.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
15 - 16 footers...

My own preference for trad. Spey would be my old fav. Daiwa 16' #10/11, a medium action, very forgiving rod with power through the the very butt.

A firmer rod would be the B&W Norway Spey casters, in either 15' or 16' , each can put out nice long scandi lines 40g and 45g respectively. Fast actioned and very powerful.

Mike

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
I have a CND 16' 1" and Meiser's 15' 7/8/9 both cast the CND 9/10 easly. Both are a pleasure to fish. The Meiser has a very wide grain window. You can't go wrong with any of these rods.

The MKS tapers are very efficient. One gentleman said "I have never cast so far with so little effort" after casting a MKS. So many good rods available these days.

Rich

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Meiser for me

I have and love the 15' 7/8/9 Highlander and the 16' bigger brother. The 10/11 weights in that length can give a little workout over the course of the day. I own and have fished the CND Thompson 10/11/12. It works great, but the Meisers are more fun for me.

You can have Bob send you a demo, or perhaps Mike at Red Shed.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I'm partial to my Meiser 16' Highlander in a 9/10 with the butt softened 5% that I use with an 8/9 long-belly (800gr) line. The rod made this way gives the strong, stiffer tip, fast recovery, medium-fast to fast and stiff action, and powerful butt that I like in a rod.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Flytyer:

I don't understand the words "with the butt softened 5%" in the first sentence of your post. It makes sense to me with those words omitted but not with them. Could you please clarify what you meant?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Bob Meiser

is the best to respond, but as I was told, you take the original 16' 9/10/11 rod and by reducing the stiffness of the but section (5%) you turn it into a rod that is effectively an 8/9/10, but with a stiffer tip section. So a middle brother to the 16' 7/8/9 that I fish.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
You can if the rod has not been built yet. Bob is a custom builder and can order his blanks to spec. Tell him to tell his blank supplier to build the blank with 5% less stiffness in the butt from normal. Nice thing about working with Bob is these kind of modifications can be made on a per rod basis.

-sean

·
Registered
465 Posts
You can if the rod has not been built yet. Bob is a custom builder and can order his blanks to spec. Tell him to tell his blank supplier to build the blank with 5% less stiffness in the butt from normal. Nice thing about working with Bob is these kind of modifications can be made on a per rod basis.

-sean
That's not reducing a rod's stiffness but rather building a rod on an altogether different blank. 5% is admittedly close; nevertheless, it's different.

Thanks for the response just the same. I didn't know that anyone was offering anything like this.

Sandpaper.

Zo2
Bingo! That works!

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Guess I was meaning in the layup process they can add or remove material at that time to reduce the rod stiffness. Doubt it is an alltogether different mandrel. I could totally be off base on this though and Bob will probably chime in here soon enough...

-sean

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
pescaphile,

Ted and Sean have answered your question. You are correct, by Bob having the heavier blank built with the softer butt, it made it an entirely different blank, which is what I wanted. I wanted a rod that was a true 8/9 long-belly rod with the stiffer tip that I prefer in a rod, and that is what I got. Since Meiser is a small volume custom builder using blanks of his own design, he can do things like this.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts