Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to improve overall on the last fly. Hopefully members that gave me advice see the changes. All critiques are welcome.
Thanks
image.jpg

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I don't remember your last fly but you did very well on this one! Proportions are spot on for me, the bar in your tippets lining up with the butt shows your attention to detail. The only thing I personally may have done differently is go with more mallard, I probably would ha've covered most of the underwings. That's just a preference thing and says nothing negative about your fly.

Plus I love green!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't remember your last fly but you did very well on this one! Proportions are spot on for me, the bar in your tippets lining up with the butt shows your attention to detail. The only thing I personally may have done differently is go with more mallard, I probably would ha've covered most of the underwings. That's just a preference thing and says nothing negative about your fly.

Plus I love green!
This was the other fly. Compare to see if the green improved. Also your saying bring the mallard down parallel with the hook shank? So basically you see everything through the mallard roof
image.jpg

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Okay I remember it now, you did make the adjustments suggested and it looks great! I just said I'd using bigger slips of mallard because I absolutely love the way mallard gives bright feathers a subdued look. I say tie a few more just as you have and get to fishing!

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,160 Posts
That blue and pink unit is a dazzler! It's so clean, bright, and the tinsel work is bang-on! The wing set on the down low looks cool!

If I might, and I'm no expert by any means (Matt and Josh actually have me under their wing), the JC in the green hornet looks like it's under the wing. By design?

Your dressings are worth emulating!

They're both very attractive patterns.

You should be proud!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That blue and pink unit is a dazzler! It's so clean, bright, and the tinsel work is bang-on! The wing set on the down low looks cool!

If I might, and I'm no expert by any means (Matt and Josh actually have me under their wing), the JC in the green hornet looks like it's under the wing. By design?

Your dressings are worth emulating!

They're both very attractive patterns.

You should be proud!
Thanks for the compliments. The JC is purposely placed under the wing. For me to have them flow as the last step I would have to build an upper wing or widen this wing and then follow the lines and mount rights and lefts to stay close to the wing.

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,160 Posts
Ah, gotcha! Thanks.

·
Administrator
19,089 Posts
I like this one !!
Maybe try a wing of turkey tail and use the bronze mallard as sides/roof , would make for a nice profile :)

Mike

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll try that. I was actually going to maybe do a simple argus and turkey underwing and then mallard roof. So same idea as you guys had. I'll give it a shot. Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts