Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ten years ago I bought a 15' 10wt. rod from Mike and of course lined it with the modified double taper he suggested. I would like to check into trying another type of line on that Maxwell rod and I am wondering if anyone has any experience or ideas about different lines that might work.

The rod has a very soft action and can be difficult but it has lots of reserve power if cast properly. Usually I am not concerned about distance and for the most part there is really no reason to change lines however I would like to extend my casting distance for certain runs and I thought that maybe a WF or some sort of modified line might offer the potential to do that.

I would appreciate any thoughts or ideas.

Thanks

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
woodrow said:
Ten years ago I bought a 15' 10wt. rod from Mike and of course lined it with the modified double taper he suggested. I would like to check into trying another type of line on that Maxwell rod and I am wondering if anyone has any experience or ideas about different lines that might work.

Thanks
I cast one of those one afternoon. used two lines. The double taper with his extendo tip, and a Wulff Triangle Taper. The triangle taper really worked well, had great turnover, and of course a nice soft presentation. It wasn't my setup so I don't know what size unfortunately, but it's a nice line on there.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Hey Woodrow...

I have demo lines in several head lengths and taper configurations that you are welcome to try.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Welcome to the Board

Take Mike up on the offer. A side trip to Red Shed is not that far out of the way. That will give you a chance to try a number of lines on the water. The only thing better is to get to a clave. That said, I would check out a midspey type line. Up to 80 feet there is little difference between it and one of Mike's extended double tapers. Beyond that distance you can shoot line to get to 100 feet or more. Finally, it is similar to the DT in requiring good casting dynamics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts