Spey Pages banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Bob,I thought you would be on your way to Skeena.Did I mix up your dates with someone else.I dont see the need for that cast/step pattern.I take a couple of steps or 3 .I dont want them to see it to much coming thier way.You take 2-3 steps and throw as far as the fish are likely to be and everything should get a peek at it.And thats all they need.I believe they see farther than most fishermen think they can.Beau

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
max

Lets sayYou make a cast in 5 ft of water.then you move down 5ft or "more typicaly 10ft'.First.Five ft where?outside?Inside?Are fish suspended at top edges of rocks that are 2ft off the bottom?Is there a trough?Are the fish lying on the inside in 1 1/2 ft.You can easily have all of those possibles on every cast!!!I maintain linear ft are all we shld care about and frankly all we can deal with.In five ft of water if there was a fish 5ft below our swing and we step 10ft we have gone by him by 5ft.But you got to do what you like.I think the important thing is to be consistent ,dont leave any gaps in the swing arcs that are too big and go fast enough to cover as much water as possible.When you step in and start you shld always stand in place and extend each cast by one to two pulls until the line covers the desired length.then ,if you step down you are showing it in a arc that is 3-6ft down stream of the last one,and again and again,etc.The 3,3,and 3 basicly is like starting over again and is covering water more than once.I would rather be on my way looking for a more aggressive taker!Or even a photo around the bend.Beau

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.