Spey Pages banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
I agree that the pace seems far too slow: For summer fishing, with surface and near-surface presentations, my philosophy is to move down between casts at least as far as the depth of the water, and more typically twice the depth.

The reason for this is that you can never get closer to the fish than the depth of the water if not fishing sunk flies or tips, and if one moves downstream the depth of the water with each cast, the fly will eventually pass by the fish no more than 12% farther away than it has to be just from the depth of the water. I.e., if the fish is holding in 5 feet of water, and you move downstream 5 feet each cast, the fly will eventually pass within 5'7" of the fish.

If you double the downstream rate, then eventually the fly will pass by the fish no more than 41% farther away than it has to be just from the depth of the water, i.e. 7 feet away from the fish. This is just simple trigonometry.

If you go only 2.5 feet downstream each cast, fishing water that is 5 feet deep, then you'll only get the fly 8% closer to the fish than moving 5 feet between casts. Pointless, IMO.

If searching for an agressive fish, I don't see any value in making the fly a tiny bit closer to the fish.

Of course, if I find a player, I'll go through a different routine as discussed in another recent thread.

--Bill

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.