Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Mike Maxwell's Advanced Speyfishing printed 2001, he describes a technique of standing in one position, making 3 short casts, 3 medium length casts, 3 long distances casts, then stepping down two rod lengths and repeating the 9-cast sequence.

Since two rod lengths is somewhat equal to nine wading steps, Maxwell states that his method will not slow fishing through a pool.

Has anyone had fishing success with this method?

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,551 Posts
Bob,

An interesting approach but at least for fishing where the water clarity allows visability over 3' and the water temp is 40 F or above, I would consider this slow fishing through a pool. Your math means one step per cast and for the waters I fish, that would be considered slow. The norm per cast tends to be 2-3 steps for winter fishing and and 3-4 for summer. Significant violations of this sometimes result in vocalized urgings to speed up.

I have even known anglers, who shall remain nameless that have been known to ask people if they have velcro on their boots :chuckle: Not very kind nor gentle is it?

tip

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Bob,I thought you would be on your way to Skeena.Did I mix up your dates with someone else.I dont see the need for that cast/step pattern.I take a couple of steps or 3 .I dont want them to see it to much coming thier way.You take 2-3 steps and throw as far as the fish are likely to be and everything should get a peek at it.And thats all they need.I believe they see farther than most fishermen think they can.Beau

·
Registered
344 Posts
I agree that the pace seems far too slow: For summer fishing, with surface and near-surface presentations, my philosophy is to move down between casts at least as far as the depth of the water, and more typically twice the depth.

The reason for this is that you can never get closer to the fish than the depth of the water if not fishing sunk flies or tips, and if one moves downstream the depth of the water with each cast, the fly will eventually pass by the fish no more than 12% farther away than it has to be just from the depth of the water. I.e., if the fish is holding in 5 feet of water, and you move downstream 5 feet each cast, the fly will eventually pass within 5'7" of the fish.

If you double the downstream rate, then eventually the fly will pass by the fish no more than 41% farther away than it has to be just from the depth of the water, i.e. 7 feet away from the fish. This is just simple trigonometry.

If you go only 2.5 feet downstream each cast, fishing water that is 5 feet deep, then you'll only get the fly 8% closer to the fish than moving 5 feet between casts. Pointless, IMO.

If searching for an agressive fish, I don't see any value in making the fly a tiny bit closer to the fish.

Of course, if I find a player, I'll go through a different routine as discussed in another recent thread.

--Bill

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tip, Beau, Bill,
Thanks for those thoughts.

Tip, I'll check my six!

Beau, I leave tomorrow. Interesting that you don't want the fish to see too much of the fly.

Bill, a good analysis.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
max

Lets sayYou make a cast in 5 ft of water.then you move down 5ft or "more typicaly 10ft'.First.Five ft where?outside?Inside?Are fish suspended at top edges of rocks that are 2ft off the bottom?Is there a trough?Are the fish lying on the inside in 1 1/2 ft.You can easily have all of those possibles on every cast!!!I maintain linear ft are all we shld care about and frankly all we can deal with.In five ft of water if there was a fish 5ft below our swing and we step 10ft we have gone by him by 5ft.But you got to do what you like.I think the important thing is to be consistent ,dont leave any gaps in the swing arcs that are too big and go fast enough to cover as much water as possible.When you step in and start you shld always stand in place and extend each cast by one to two pulls until the line covers the desired length.then ,if you step down you are showing it in a arc that is 3-6ft down stream of the last one,and again and again,etc.The 3,3,and 3 basicly is like starting over again and is covering water more than once.I would rather be on my way looking for a more aggressive taker!Or even a photo around the bend.Beau

G

·
I live in a place called Yanchep in Western Australia, and we have a reef here that is 300 yards long and at water level at low tide. Its great for fly casting with 9' fly rods, but better if you graduate to DH overheads. My technique is to start out with my 15' Talon Graphite Midgar and just roll cast a big 55 foot Loop intermediate head with a 15 foot leader. It gets me 70 feet out and the Deceiver fly looks like a hard bodied lure dragged in flat out when you lift the rod tip. Hell it goes. Anyway I just step sideways one step and do it again. Just 10 secong casting. No effort at all. I go all the way down the reef until I get fed up with catching nothing and go home. One day I'll find fish, but I guess its much the same as fishing rivers. It is however a very interesting way of doing the SWF thing.
I can get it further by shooting some running line, but the line problems, handling the line, are not worth the effort.
I find that fly anglers generally are not mentally geared to the DH rod system.
Takes a while for reality to set in. Tunnel vision syndrome at large. VBG. MaxG.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Two paces

Consideration for others behind you implies a faster pace.

Perhaps Mr. Maxwell's method was for covering the water when there is not someone else waiting to. Does that ever happen anymore?

-Vinnie in Juneau

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
mvinsel said:
Consideration for others behind you implies a faster pace.

Perhaps Mr. Maxwell's method was for covering the water when there is not someone else waiting to. Does that ever happen anymore?

-Vinnie in Juneau
With few exceptions, yes on the Rogue. Save for Saturday/Sunday morning the river is usually darned near empty of other folks swinging a rod. Even then, the S/Sdy crowd will be stacked up in the most easily accessable places on the river.:roll: 10 steps from the car door seems to be a long trip for many.:smokin:

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Ok

I spent many a day fishing with Mike in this manner. While he was convinced it was superior to every other method I find it about equal. I can cover the water as fast as I need to. Mike was emphatic that the twitching was subtle compared to waking a big old deer hair skater. Running it three time over the fish would probably make up for that. In both cases the fish seem equally stimulated.

I would say the two methods produce about equally.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.