Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around 12 years ago a friend left a 16' Maxwell in my keeping he has never asked for it as he does not like Spey casting. I have not until recently used this rod enough to have an opinion as to if I enjoyed fishing with it,I now have fished with it and I do enjoy the much slower action and the power that it produces.
My question is do they still make these rods and is there other manufactures that make something similar. This particular rod is a 10wt or there abouts there are no markings on the blank and I am using a Cortland DT 10/11 with a homemade splice eye for tips.
After several days of this slower action I may be a lost soul regarding my other faster rods, everything in moderation I'm sure I will still need the ones that I have been here to fore using for winter work.
Anyhow if you know of these Maxwells give me a holler.

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Golden West Speyrods

The rod you are speaking of was made by the Fisher Rod Company and does cast a fine line.

Right now under for Sale by Owner on this board an Item of Assorted Speyrods for Sale
GoldnWest Tigereye (Mike Maxwell) 13' 9wt; good condition with bag & PVC shipping tube- $200/OBO+shipping
This Fisher rod I think is one of Mike’s tapers also,
JK Fisher 14'9/10wt; near mint condition with bag/tube- $100/OBO+shipping
Speybum

:)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Moonlight,
To my knowledge Mike is still making rods. I haven't talked to him in well over a year(long story,short ending)but last I checked he was still producing softer action speys. The blank manufacturer has changed and I think Mike has stiffened up the actions slightly. The last one I cast was beautiful and slow but had a far more progressive action than the older Tigereye's.As well there are the Lamiglas rods that bear his name and would be a little bit easier on the pocketbook. As mentioned above, if it is the older, brown coloured, kennedys that you desire there should be plenty kicking around on ebay etc.
Who knows, you could probably talk Mike into selling you one of the originals, I know he still has a few kicking around.You can contact Mike and Denise via email at [email protected] or check out their site at www.speycast.com.
Brian Niska

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats it!

Thank you Brian, thats exactly what this rod is one of the older (original) brown ones with a very soft action. I will look up the Maxwells at there site and once again thank you very much!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts