Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone thought about what the maximum spey cast distance would be???

Could one keep going longer and stiffer with the rods until they are beyond the realm of what a human can lift???

Is there a theoretical limit on rod length? I remember a great rod designer in the UK who told me that there is some "fulcrum point" nonsense above 21'.

Mularky?

Anyone care to design a 30' spey rod and line to find out? How about something that tip-loads at 2000grains and loads into the butt at 4000? Something with a helical layup? A monstrosity...

Sheesh. Too many poptarts.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Brooklynangler,

2,000 grains? Heck I've been trying for 4 years to get someone to make a 17' to 18' fast recovery, progressive loading, fairly stiff, with a tip strong enough to support this load rod that will cast 1300-1500 grains to no avail. I keep hoping that such a beast will be made though and I am still very much looking forward to one day getting cast such a rod.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Distance Casting

loco alto,
Although I'm new to the sport, I've wondered about longer rods, fast tips and strong butts suitable for launching 200 ft casts. It would be the ticket for fishing for Blues or Stripers in the surf. I'm just getting to the point where
I'm interested the the rod dynamics. Boy, have I got a lot to learn!
Stan

·
loco alto!
3,053 Posts
my popeye post was intended for a chuckle, nothing more.

I guess I should've added one of these :hihi:

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
200' casts???

I think that the 100-140' casts from the Atlantis show the limits of the shooting lines and stripping baskets...and the limits of head length vs. distance vs. usability. And I think it is a misconception that there is any spey casting going on in the surf--- while there may be salmon-rod techniques on the pickup, it is mostly overhead.

Wanna fish at 200'? Get a surfcasting rod and a wooden float and fish your flies that way, my friend.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Distance Casting

I picked 200' out of the air. I know it's a long way. I already have a surf casting rod. It isn't as much fun as fly casting or spey casting.
Stan

·
Registered
886 Posts
Scott MacKenzie et al are not that far short, with an eighteen foot rod an an XLT Scott did over 61yds in Ireland 61x3=183ft

·
Registered
886 Posts
SSPey said:
my popeye post was intended for a chuckle, nothing more.

I guess I should've added one of these :hihi:
I thought for one moment you were suggesting using babies as bait!!!

On a flyfishing forum as well disgracefull.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts