Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is four flies that attracted attention from fishes on the coast this weekend. The weather was fine, maybe too fine for fishing. Full sun from blue sky, and clearish water ranging from crystal clear to mildly clouded. Lots of mysis and garfish fry. Fished mainly over rock bottom and seaweed patches. Only the Sonic fly got a massive hit (but no catch) from a presumed sea trout. All got mauled, mostly by garfish. The only one which took heavy nipping without being stripped was the last fly - the Black, blue & red irish fly. I have posted before and after photos of each fly.

The Sonic fly:

The Blue & green hackle tip fly:

The Red & orange spey fly:

The Black, blue & red irish fly

The fly that surprised the most were the tobis imitation baitfish, but it was too heavy to cast effectively for my wf6 rod. Such fealistic movement in the water, but such a hassle to cast, so not enough tries and no fish hooked with this one. Want to tie some smaller versions of this to my rod:

Knæk og bræk
Søren

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
awesome post, Do you fish the silver and white dee much? would assume that would be a good bait fish pattern?

I recently got the sage salt 6wt and it will cast bigger flies quite well for our beach fishing..

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,162 Posts
Your bugs really worked well, didn't they? To get them hammered like that must have been great fun!

Successful flies never come out looking like they did going in!! Except for the Irish! The wing still looks great, which is proof it was tied correctly!!

Good work!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts