Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have always liked the way it casts but would like to cut down on the stripping between casts. Let me know what you have done to make this line perform better.
Thanks,
Leroy......................

·
Registered
465 Posts
I like this lines performance. The 80' head is nice for most fishing situations without stripping.

As with any spey line make sure its kept CLEAN and floating well. This doesn't seem to get enough emphasis, but a clean line will greatly aid to make better casts whether you shoot line or not. This has the greatest benefit with longer casts where the decreased surface tension aids to more smoothly load your rod.

And, of course, there's always one's technique... :p

pescaphile

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
As Dana showed me one day on the river with my brand-spankin new SA spey line these lines with long back tapers need to be stripped to the meat of the back end of the belly or they will not have enough to turn the head over.

Where some lines want a little overhang, midspey / windcutter for instance, a long back taper can't handle overhang beyond it and you need to strip it up as if it wasn't there to get the stroke to pop the head over nicely. I made the mistake of thinking that the very end of the long back taper was where I should be casting from.

Once I stripped this back taper into the guides to the back of the belly zooom!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
pescaphile re cleaning our Spey lines,

"As with any spey line make sure its kept CLEAN and floating well. This doesn't seem to get enough emphasis, but a clean line will greatly aid to make better casts whether you shoot line or not. This has the greatest benefit with longer casts where the decreased surface tension aids to more smoothly load your rod."

Thanks for posting this.

Since I don't "shoot" my spey lines, I have gotten out of the habit of really cleaning my lines after fishing with them. I just rinse them in warm water under some pressure and let them dry out in a spare sink. My spray bottle of 303 protectant sets on a spare desk, unused and unloved.

Friday, I used my GS 7/8 with my new ARC 1409. (This is a dynamite combo). I found myself on some Double Speys having to double up on the first stroke to move the long line up through the water. That line has never been cleaned with 303. It will be cleaned tomorrow as well as my other Spey lines.

Thanks again for posting this common sense that many of us probably have forgotten.

·
just say no to bait
115 Posts
Speyrd
I have found that this line rewards good technique [not that mine is all that good]. When I screw up any step of the cast the distance and turn over really suffer. Conversely, when I hit it just right I am amazed at how well the line works. Hope this helps
N I

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Hey speyrd

Just pick up SA mastery series, "spey short head"
Going to try it on Skagit Spec. what I saw of it on the Sky looks good to me:eyecrazy:

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
spey short head by SA

I build all my lines till this one.
I just mic this one and the dia. are way cool!:smokin:
I can't wait to try one of Ed W. sink tip on it!:devil:

·
Speyngineer
167 Posts
juro said:
As Dana showed me one day on the river with my brand-spankin new SA spey line these lines with long back tapers need to be stripped to the meat of the back end of the belly or they will not have enough to turn the head over.
Juro, which SA Spey Line are you referring to? As to my understanding the SA Mastery Spey with 77 ft head has a short 7ft back taper. Is there a new line around, or are you talking about the XLT?

WBR, Lohi

edit, 80 ft > 77 ft

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
yes i need to chime in here as well;i thought the head length was 65-70 ft,,but maybe mine are obsolete;the mint green ones turnovers great ! for the heavier comet type flies,better than the XLT,,,but it's probably obsolete as well:smokin:

·
Registered
465 Posts
It's 77ft like Lohi says Hammer. I just used 80 feet as a round number... I'm an engineer, I like round numbers!

I've yet to fiind a line I like all-around as well as this one. The Triangle taper is nice as a floater but has trouble with heavier or wind resistant flies. And the Mastery Spey makes an excellent line for throwing sink tips when cut and looped at 17ft. Too bad they aren't more durable - they tend to crack much too soon in my experience.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
They have 2 different lines

One is 77ft. (I think)
Other is 54ft (Spey Short Head)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
haven't fished a floater much,,haven't fished much,,but it's good to know where to cut,,what's the hot tip setup,,any brand name?,or are tips availlable from SA,,,anyone ever think about cutting at the back then using,,uh,,,almost forgot,,,,,,Amnesia,,,i've dedicated these lines to the amorphous daiwa' 16-11-12 rods,,so there's no problem with overhead work/shooting,,but ,,,,always trying to outsmart the experts,,ah heck,that's what being a hotrodder,er,,,,um,,, speyrodder's all about :hehe:

·
1,771 Posts
Hi Lohi -

This was an old mastery spey line that I bought in a bargain bin at a fly shop in Port Angeles while on a fishing trip several years ago. I never used it until 2002, so it was new then but probably a few years older in production date. In fact I was not aware that any changes were made until the new lines which just came out, other than the XLT of course.

Anyway, if the rear taper is 7ft, that does seem shorter than what I have. Even still, if it's half the length of a 14 ft rod, that does seem quite long if it must be pulled inside the guides to throw the head properly. In contrast, a windcutter, delta, midspey, even an 85 ft Airflo traditional head did not need to be pulled into the guides at all in order to throw the head with the same rod.

In fact I still have the line so I should wind it back on a reel and re-try it. Perhaps it's not just the length of the rear taper but the grain distribution, for me and for others who tried it any overhang of the rear taper seemed to kill the cast. Even starting where the back taper began seemed to affect the cast. Conversely when the rear taper was stripped into the guides it cast quite well.

This could be due to grain distribution rather than length, I don't know. BTW- based on what I have read from Brian Simonseth and heard from Dennis at Kaufmanns, etc - the new S/A lines are a must to try!

Have you tried the new lines?

Lohi said:
Juro, which SA Spey Line are you referring to? As to my understanding the SA Mastery Spey with 77 ft head has a short 7ft back taper. Is there a new line around, or are you talking about the XLT?

WBR, Lohi

edit, 80 ft > 77 ft

·
Speyngineer
167 Posts
New SA lines

No, I have not seen nor cast any new SA lines since the SA Mastery Spey. This back taper length was just interesting, as some days ago we discussed about it with my friend, who claimed that the back taper was very long. We even had to measure one to see, that it was about 7ft, as the specs say :D

However, about the overhang , why certain lines would need to be pulled into the rings, while others seem to work like shooting heads. I believe that Dana mentioned that he is using GS as a shooting head, so it shouldn't be the length itself :D.

Is it just the mass of the line being too much for the rod tip, which folds under the load, or what is the reason? The mass difference shouldn't be that much, if 7 ft of tapered line is all we are talking about. :eyecrazy: Beats me.

WBR, Lohi

·
1,771 Posts
I believe guys like Simon, Tim Rajeff and Bruce Richards could answer this in a second, but I can't believe it's the rod tip folding because when I pull the thicker mass into the tip there is more load on the tip and the rod flexes more fully.

It's the mass of the line, particularly the running line and back taper, trying to enforce it's physics on the thicker back belly portion and simply can't due to distribution of mass and graduation of taper.

Beyond that, I have no idea why some lines can and some lines can't.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
dug out a box

and that's what the length is stated as being for a 10-11 line ,used for compareson on the box;77 ft.,mine are 12-13s,so,?,will say one thing,maybe that's why they seem to overhead with SOME similarity to the Wullf [email protected] 80 ft head length on the same rod,i just had it in my head that they were 65 ft total length,,and a heavier rating,thus,voila!,,,hmmm,seems there's something on the ol' hardrive about a speypage,,,,,uh,well,,,mmm,,,anyway,,dinner's almost done ,,i'll look later,,,i DO feel the heavier front taper turns weighted patterns over easier,first couple times i used the line it felt heavy,but after using one back to back with the Wulff,i recognized the strong points,,,one of the benefits of finding a place to oneself on the river,with the suburban backed up to the water;instant comparo

1 - 16 of 16 Posts