Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Married wing flies are by far my favorite to tie and fish. They do take a little more time and effort but the rewards are grand. I often hear “the fly does not matter.” Nothing could be further from the truth for me. First and foremost I have to have confidence in the fly I am fishing. I then match the fly to the conditions I am faced with. If I feel I have matched the conditions and I am fishing the fly with confidence, I know I am going to hook up. If I don’t, well that’s steelheading. The wing on this fly was built from turkey with a few strips of bustard. Turkey is long, but harder to compress than other materials. For the beginner I would recommend starting out marrying goose shoulder. It may not be as long but it is much easier to work with. Have fun with this one and thanks for looking.

Hook: Alec Jackson 3/0
Tip: Silver small oval tinsel
Tail: Golden Pheasant crest topped with small orange feather
Butt: Dyed orange ostrich herl
Body: Orange and black dubbing in equal parts.
Rib: Flat pearl Mylar and silver oval tinsel
Collar: Black schlappen with one turn of orange guinea
Under wing: two orange saddle hackles
Wing: Turkey

Start the tying thread at the bend of the hook. Secure in a length of oval tinsel. Wrap the tying thread down the bend of the hook, trapping the tinsel as you go. Stop when the thread hangs in line with the point of the hook. Take 3 to 4 turns with the tinsel and secure. Wrap the tying thread back to the start of the bend. The thread work for this move is critical. You are creating the under body for the tag. Any lumps in the thread will be magnified in the floss.

Secure in a length of floss. Wrap the floss down to the tip and return.

Secure in the crest for the tail and top with a small orange feather. To keep this fly in balance I set the tail no longer than the end of the hook.

Secure in a single strand of ostrich herl. Take 4 to 5 turns with the herl and secure.

Wrap the tying thread forward ¼ and secure in the Mylar and oval tinsel. Secure in a length of orange floss and wrap the floss down to the butt trapping the tinsel as you go. Take two turns forward with the floss, leaving a small gap between the butt and the first wrap of dubbing. Using the floss for a dubbing loop, load and spin the orange dubbing.

Wrap the orange dubbing forward and secure. Change to black thread and build a dubbing loop. Load the loop with the black dubbing and give it a spin. Finish of the body and bring the tinsel forward, first the Mylar followed by the oval.

Secure in the schlappen hackle and wrap as a collar, Secure in the guinea and take one turn and secure.

Select two saddle hackles and place them back to back. Work so they have a natural cure, makes it much easier. Clean the waist from the stem. Insert the stems through the eye of the fly and secure.

Build a wing and stick it on the fly, if it were only that easy. Build the wing, gauge to length and while pinching the wing as tight as possible, take one soft turn with the tying thread. Next, pull straight up with the tying thread, while maintain a firm pinch on the wing. Try to fill each barbule compress as you tighten down on the thread.

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Add some cheeks and clip the tag ends. Build up a small head with the thread and this one is ready for the water.

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,701 Posts
Continous Envy

Marty your ties are off the charts and a style of your own.. Any chance of a Wing Prep add on

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,162 Posts
Wow! Now THAT'S something to aspire to.

One day..........

Very nice! A real stunner!

And thanks for the instructions.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Another wonderful Marty tie! I've gathered so much from your tying and SBS's over the years. It is truly appreciated what you bring to this forum!!

Thank you,

-Bill

·
Administrator
19,093 Posts
Always a pleasure viewing your work Marty !!
I agree , the confidence factor is a key element to success ... and also adds to personal enjoyment while we go through the motions .
I would have no problem swinging this fly all day long knowing I have an offering that a steelhead or salar finds enticing ... beauty :smokin:

Mike

·
Spey Hack
153 Posts
While I'm not amazing at any techniques I consider myself good at most. Married wings are the one technique that still elude me. Great fly Marty

·
Registered
506 Posts
cool fly, i will have to give this one a shot! i like the fact that you use bustard conservatively but it still stands out.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
cheers

believe it or not I think you've just bailed me out of the ****.

archived.

cheers again,
shawn

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Whats the small red feather used? Im in need for some good sub. Featherwings used to support the main wing? Like always... outstanding and inspiring!

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Small orange (it may look red) feather in the tail is Weaver bird. A good sub would be dyed ring neck pheasant. The under wing is two hackles from a dyed orange chicken neck,

Thanks for all the kind words, warms the heart.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts