Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble setting these wings. I'm sure it's just a matter of practice, but I was hoping you all could just take a look at the wings and help me make sure the construction itself is sound. This is goose shoulder and turkey. Thanks, fellas.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Looks fine to me.

Might want to trim the butts so they are closer to being equal for ease of handling.

Also, I try to keep the angle of the tips increasing as I build the wing up, so that you get a consistent angle. If you look at yours it's more of a point. This is simply more a traditional look mind you, and if you're not worried about that then I'm sure it will have no affect on your efforts to mount the wing.

Can't wait to see it completed.

Scott.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Those look good, very nice. What happening with the wing when you are setting it down?

Would like to see it complete.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
separate and pull the bottom four colours 1/8'' forward and then arch like a proper 'wing' before tying, mate. try and get a continuous wave to the point of the wing.

and stick the olive back on the other one.

nice one,
shawn

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
separate and pull the bottom four colours 1/8'' forward and then arch like a proper 'wing' before tying, mate. try and get a continuous wave to the point of the wing.

and stick the olive back on the other one.

nice one,
shawn
Just a shadow. No missing pieces. I saw a video showing how to shape them, so I'll try that.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those look good, very nice. What happening with the wing when you are setting it down?

Would like to see it complete.
I just can't seem to get them to cinch correctly. Usually, the top of the facing wing will start to roll over the top of the rear wing. From the look of things, I may not be pinching it close enough to the thread.

As for this one, no finished pictures will be coming. It started to fall apart after a few attempts at setting, so I wasn't able to complete it.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Try steaming to bring back to life... When mounting make sure to pull STRAIGHT up or down when adding pressure, squeeze the crap out of that wing to make sure it doesn't move and after your initial tightening wrap grab the butt ends and twist them back into the right alignment. All this while keeping your death grip on the wing... I also add a drop of water to the tie in point to help compress... Good luck!

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
I just can't seem to get them to cinch correctly. Usually, the top of the facing wing will start to roll over the top of the rear wing. From the look of things, I may not be pinching it close enough to the thread.

As for this one, no finished pictures will be coming. It started to fall apart after a few attempts at setting, so I wasn't able to complete it.
:) It's the very same affliction I suffered.

The soft loop method would have you pinch the wing, run thread up inside thumb, loose over the wing slips , down inside index and/or back up again drawing the thread up/down while keeping tension on the slips to prevent rolling. I find that pinching the wing between thumb and middlefinger, thread running inside thumb and at this point - instead of loose over the slips... loose over index , down inside middle and with a weighted bobbin the thread will draw the wing directly down compressing over the tie-in by slipping my index out of the loose wrap of thread. Im also holding the butt-ends vertical over the tie-in with my free hand. The bobbin is hanging freely compressing the wing down in place. I don't need nearly the death-grip to prevent the roll-over or damaging the slips which can cause it to split. Modern day cheat or adaptation? Whatever - it's a means to an end. I do the same for tails, veilings, toppings, anywhere materials are drawn directly down.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
first hurdle...

and what everybody forgot to mention was that goose and turkey can be a bastard to marry.
I basically stick to turkey now full stop... it can be expensive but should last you a while... try mclean.

cheers,
shawn

ps. I could've swore last night those were olive strips.
but on the same token I could've sworn I only had three beers.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
death grip. u need to hold that wing like no tmr. the thread needs to be pulled straight up or down but straight. wet the tieing point a bit it will help colaspe the wing. to start id say try and use materials with same texture or just one material wing until you get the wing set down

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:) It's the very same affliction I suffered.

The soft loop method would have you pinch the wing, run thread up inside thumb, loose over the wing slips , down inside index and/or back up again drawing the thread up/down while keeping tension on the slips to prevent rolling. I find that pinching the wing between thumb and middlefinger, thread running inside thumb and at this point - instead of loose over the slips... loose over index , down inside middle and with a weighted bobbin the thread will draw the wing directly down compressing over the tie-in by slipping my index out of the loose wrap of thread. Im also holding the butt-ends vertical over the tie-in with my free hand. The bobbin is hanging freely compressing the wing down in place. I don't need nearly the death-grip to prevent the roll-over or damaging the slips which can cause it to split. Modern day cheat or adaptation? Whatever - it's a means to an end. I do the same for tails, veilings, toppings, anywhere materials are drawn directly down.
I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
death grip. u need to hold that wing like no tmr. the thread needs to be pulled straight up or down but straight. wet the tieing point a bit it will help colaspe the wing. to start id say try and use materials with same texture or just one material wing until you get the wing set down
But building a good looking wing is half the fun!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
and what everybody forgot to mention was that goose and turkey can be a bastard to marry.
I basically stick to turkey now full stop... it can be expensive but should last you a while... try mclean.

cheers,
shawn

ps. I could've swore last night those were olive strips.
but on the same token I could've sworn I only had three beers.
I haven't had too much trouble getting the goose and turkey to marry. My alignment is off, but they seem to hold well. As for the beer, I suppose you're forgiven. I do hail from Asheville, NC. This is Beer City, USA after all!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I dont understand why everyone on speypages thinks this is the only way to set a wing.

If you are a beginner in salmon fly tying avoid the pinching method. ESPECIALLY if you are using goose.

Think about how thick the turkey fibers are compared to the goose, and you are trying to stack them. It just doesnt work (easily, atleast), they will roll over and collapse. Thats why guys get turkey for colored fibers, since they stack so well.

Try looking up some different methods. Many wings traditionally were put on one at a time (far side first then near side for example). You can also try to sandwhich them all together and brush them out to get a nice mixed wing. Or anything really, just make sure your wings are in line and the shape you want and not tied way down the sides of the shank.

If you do want to learn to pinch/stack, try with maybe 10 slips of only turkey. Once you perfect that try more slips, then try turkey and golden pheasant married together. Etc etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts