Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Team!

I am looking for some suggestions on what size Hardy Marquis reel to pair with my Sage TCX 8wt. Will be my single hand salmon / steelhead setup.

Also if anybody has any suggestions on other potentially appropriate reels that would be greatly appreciated !

Tight lines,

Dan

·
Premium Member
3,664 Posts
For an 8wt the salmon 2 - right balance, tons of room.

·
Registered
294 Posts
For a single hand 8 wt. the Salmon 1 is ideal. I have been using this setup for years.
The Salmon 2 in my opinion would be for a 2 hander

Emel

·
Registered
367 Posts
Are you planning to go with OPST or other Skagit heads? The Salmon #1 then would do nicely, IF you want a click and pawl reel.

IF you only plan to use other more standard WF lines and you also want a reliable drag there are many other options options to look at -- including the larger ORVIS Battenkill Disc reels and some Krakens.

·
Premium Member
3,664 Posts
Ah, I must have totally missed the part about it being a SH rod!

Then yes, a salmon 1 would be ok, but no heavier. A Marquis 10 might be a little better. If it is a single hand rod that you will cast single handed lighter weight, rather than balance, is probably the main criterion, and a Marquis might not be my first choice for that. Something like the st. Aidan will be lighter with the same volume as salmon 1.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts