Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Spey Is The Way
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Hardy Marquis Salmon # 1. If I put a Windcutter 6/7 on it, how much room would there be for backing? Willing to cut a little off the line or use Gel Spun. Thanks.

·
Registered
293 Posts
You won't need to cut the line off or use gel spun. I have a 7/8/9 wincutter plus 100 feet of floating running line and 100 yds of - I think - 30 lb backing (could be 20 not 100% sure). You should EASILY be able to get 150 yds of 30-lb backing on that reel.

Here is a technique you might consider it for "optimizing" the amount of backing on your reel. Wind the winductter on tip-first, tie on the backing with a figure 8 knot, then wind on the backing until the reel is full. It doesn't hurt to fill up your reel very full as the rod is so long you'll always have a little line off the reel. Wind the backing onto a spare reel or spool, undo the figure 8, and pull off the winducutter. Wind the backing back onto the reel, then wind the windcutter on, you're done. A little more work but you get the perfect amount of backing every time.

Good luck, that is one awesome reel!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.