Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just going to look at a used one locally with spare spool. He says its a clicker. Pics show It in good-excellent condition and it has the silver face. Does anyone know what would be considered a good deal and the vintage of this reel? Cheers

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk

·
Banned
571 Posts
How many rivets on the reel back?

Have a look at the back of the reel. How many rivets? One? Oops. The reel has the first generation brake with the plastic-coated circular spring and a single pawl. Not good. Four rivets? The reel will have the all-metal twin spring and pawl check. Better. Just a wee bit smaller than a Salmon #1, similar line capacity. There is no serial number, so exact dating a mystery. '80s would be my guess. Value? In the ballpark of 80% to 90% of a Salmon #1 and spare spool. Not a size seen very often. Built to last...

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
I believe only the very first issue Scientific Anglers System reels had the single pawl and circular steel ring with plastic coating. The later Scientific Anglers System and Marquis reels were identical and made by Hardy,,, all had the dual pawl.

Scientific Angers System 9 = Marquis No. 10
SA System 10 = Marquis Salmon #1

Regards,
FK
Spey Casting North East

·
Banned
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guy sold it out from under me. Wanted 150 can for the reel and spool. Just thought it would have been a good reel for my 6/7. Thanks all

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk

·
Banned
571 Posts
I believe only the very first issue Scientific Anglers System reels had the single pawl and circular steel ring with plastic coating. The later Scientific Anglers System and Marquis reels were identical and made by Hardy,,, all had the dual pawl.

Scientific Angers System 9 = Marquis No. 10
SA System 10 = Marquis Salmon #1

Regards,
FK
Spey Casting North East
FK, Hardy sold the first generation of the Marquis series, Salmon series included, with the single pawl and plastic coated ring. There are two for sale on ebay tonight. Archuleta and others have done many conversions of these to the twin metal check.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
FK, Hardy sold the first generation of the Marquis series, Salmon series included, with the single pawl and plastic coated ring. There are two for sale on ebay tonight. Archuleta and others have done many conversions of these to the twin metal check.
Buff,
Thanks,,, very interesting,,, as a long time fan of the Marquis reels, I have only seen the SA System series with the single pawl design. I found the UK eBay listing with Marquis and single pawl.

I suspect Hardy was manuf. the reel for Scientific Anglers in the USA marked System and at the same time, selling the identical reel labeled Marquis for the European market.

I presently have two SA System 11 reels with single pawl,,, should send them to Archuleta for conversion.

Regards,
FK
Spey Casting North East

1 - 7 of 7 Posts