OF HWY 520 AND HWY 20 ON THE SKAGIT RIVER

DEDICATED TO TEACHING WITH
EMPHASIS ON FREE INSTRUCTION FOR OUR YOUTH
BY VOLUNTEER INSTRUCTORS
CASTERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO JOIN IN

A SPEAKER WILL TALK ABOUT RIVER
ETIQUETTE, ETHICS AND CONSERVATION

A SPEY CASTING COMPETITION WILL BE FREE TO ALL
WHO WISH TO ENTER, USING A 9141-4 ROD SUPPLIED BY SAGE, WITH LINE AND GRASS LEADER

WORLD REKNOWNED FLY FISHERS AND CASTERS
FROM THE US AND CANADA WILL BE
PRESENT TO JOIN IN THE FUN

BRING YOUR LUNCH AND ENJOY

Questions may be directed to Marlow Bumpus [email protected]

:smokin:

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Skagit Great Times

I have attended these events before and they are a lot of fun.

The best part of the whole thing is the people.

Marlow is Speycasting Pioneer and just a great guy to be around.

:)

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Been there myself in the past and it was a great time. I just don't like casting on grass because I miss the feel of the line on water. However, I will be there again since is such fun.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
thanks for posting this, Aaron!

It was on my "to do" list for this week, but you saved me some keystrokes! :)

This event is going to be a lot of fun--I'm really looking forward to it!

Thanks to Marlow for setting it up!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Bump

Or should I say Bumpus..

Just wanted to bring this back to the top.

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who is going to Marlow's

I have been cleared by the boss to play on Satureday, close the shop and head up for some games and such.

Will be bring a few toys to play with.

Kush are you going to stop at the gas staion and pick some goodies.

Marlow do you want me to bring any thing???:smokin:

Wonder if I could get some fishing in if I leave early enough?????????

Aaron

·
Registered
44 Posts
Kush

Ive been called a lot worse and expect to be again, in fact Bump sounds better than Bumpus anyway.

Looks like it's getting close and the weather forecast is looking good but then what do they know?

If we bring a few sticks of fire wood we can have a warming fire in the pit. I will bring some.

The new shelter isn't up yet as expected. In fact it isn't even started. The latest start date is some time in Mat. The Park ranger, Mike See, (nice guy) plans to put up two temporary shelters, 10x10 and 10x20, on the old shelter slab to keep us dry in case of rain.

The park is on the river for those who like to cast on the water. This event isn't as structured as those I have put together in the past, so we aren't locked in to casting on the grass other than for a distance game. I've never figured how to measure a cast on the river without getting wet. I prefer the water too, flytyer.

Aaron

Your rod rack would be handy. Anyone wanting to practise on the grass should bring their grass gear but the game rod and line will be furnished. If we all use the same outfit in the game, we can do it all in one day. Jerry Siem hopes to make it but sent me the rod just in case he can't and I have the line on an old reel, so were set.

See you there, Marlow

·
Registered
127 Posts
Marlow, Is the Skagit too wide for you to cast accross. With that new sage rod I will measure you cast on the sandbar on the other side. Jerry

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks Marlow!

Young kids and old had a great time playing with the wide variety of speycasting "toys" brought to the Clave by Marlow (Sage), Kush (CND Spey), Speybum (T&T). And there were a several rods I'd never even heard of (Scierra?) that were really impressive as well.

A few of our premier flyfishing guides and accomplished spey casters lent their expertice to the festivities and I know many who attended picked up a tip or two. I'll especially remember to keep my rodtip down when casting on grass! :)

It was a great day to hang out with a bunch of other junkies who share my speycasting addiction and catch up on stories of Steelheading and our favorite rivers.

Kudos to Marlow and all those who provided assistance, equipment, rods or other forms of support to this great event.

And thanks to Sandy Kushnir, our official Clave photographer. I'm sure we'll be seeing some candid shots of the participants appearing soon. :eek: :devil:

See you on the water!

DS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts