Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Does anybody have a good system for keeping track of your different heads (sink tips etc.) The ones from Rio come with lables on them, but after a while they get kind of cruddy. The Airflo ones come in zip lock bags with a lables, but again it's a poor way of storing them. I have a few of the pouches they both put out, but still need a way of making the tips so I know what's what!
Any suggestions?

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Hi Rick -

I make my own tips out of cut ST heads. When finishing the loop I wrap a color-coded layer of thread under the aquaseal. Works pretty well, never wears out.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Marking sink tips

You would probably want to be able to identify your sink tips by grain wieght. I would suggest marking with a waterproof sharpie, something in the order of one long mark all the way around the line just after the loop to indicate 100 grains, followed by a series of short marks maybe for each 25 grain increment. A 150 grain tip would then have one long followed by two short rings. A 200 grain would be two long rings and so on.

I am not sure how I would do it if confronted simply with manufacturers nomenclature such as type III or type VI for a Windcutter or Midspey XXX line wt. Until the re is some kind of standard, grain wieght seems to be the most reliable method.

I know of one guy though who drops a coiled up sink tip into a clear plastic tube filled with water and counts the time it takes to sink. But then he used to be an engineer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts