Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many spey addicts will be at The Fly Fishing Show, Marin County Civic Center, San Rafael, California. Dates Friday February 28 [11A-6P], March 1 and 2 [9 to 6]. This is the only all fly fishing show in Northern California.

This strikes me as an opportunity to meet members of this board and compare notes as we test cast every rod in existence.

Are there any ideas from this creative group regarding wearing or carrying some unique item that will enable us to identify each other?

Let's get together and wring out some tackle!!!!!

Bob P

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I'll be there on Sunday - Simon is suppose to give a demonstration in the PM at the lake. Not sure about what to wear but weather permitting I will be at the lake for much of the day. A couple of friends should be there on Sun also

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Marin Fly Show

We could ride white horses, wear white robes and use an old Spey Rod to flail/fley/Spey the single hand infidels.

Are you still up for going over on Sunday? If so, we should go together!

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I will be carrying a maroon day pack - bringing a couple of reels with the XLT 7/8 and 9/10 to try out on various rods - if anyone is interested to try these lines they will be available out at the lake.

Scott Rods is suppose to bring a 20' rod they developed - will be a fun thing to play around with!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
When your there be sure to try Bob Meiser rods.

Major fav. at the Bellevue show (he's happy as a clam!); Burkie may have a real competitor at a considerably lesser price.
fae

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Ah the power of the internet - I misread an e-mail I got from Egan at Scott Rod and thought they had a prototype 20' rod - they do not though a few fellows stopped by the Scott booth at the Marin show wanting to try it and were quite disappointed that it did not exist!!

I am proud to say it was I that started this unsubstantiated rumor!!

I am sorry I did not get to hook up with a few of you at the show. I was looking for you Bob but did not find you though I also was out watching Simon and was out trying various rods.

Fred - you are right - Robert M. has some very nice rods - beautifully crafted and very nice casting sticks!!

So what rumor can I start next?? Fred is low on single malt and is having withdrawals!!??

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Marin Fly Show

Bob Pauli and I attended yesterday. This is a show for fly fishers not the abortions of what most California Shows have become an outdoor show with a little fly fishing.

Jim Vincent, Simon and others were there. Simon had the new GS 7/8 available for trial. Jim, Simon and the other Rio people were there to help and answer questions.

Simon gave a great casting performance yesterday that was well worth the trip over. I estimate that there was as least 100 people watching Simon the Spey Magician do his incredible Spey Casting.

Bob Meiser had his display right by the exit door that went to the casting pond. He had several rods rigged up for trial from his two handed switch rods, his Spey rods and some other new rods. Everytime I went to the pond, I saw other people trying his rods.
He is working on a new rod that the East Coast Stripper Fishers should love. He had a few new rods at the show including a critter launcher in a 9 weight two handed switch rod that was less than 9 foot long. I think Bob uses it to taunt big Pike with the launched critters.

As Fred noted re the Seattle show, Bob's booth at Marin was very popular, and Bob is becoming a major player in the custom rod making for those who use two handed rods.

The show was proof that we are living in an incredible age of development and fine tuning for the Spey Fisher. Thanks to the rod makers, big and small, the line makers like Rio and the people in love with Spey Fishing and who share their skills with us.

One is the ability to get down to where the fish are without carrying a dozen shooting heads. That is Rio's new Sink Tip Compensator. Get your hands on Rio's new catalog and go to page 11 and see how many options this new Tip Compensator offers you with just the standard sinking tips that come with the New Rio lines with changeable tips. Discussions with a few guides confirmed my own observations of what a great tool this is for us.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Meiser Rod

While I was at the clave in fall city someone handed me a unique rod to try. I had never heard of the rod but it was very well put together. I made a few casts and WOW what a rod. Upon farther inspection it was underlayed with a hackle and it said 8/9 and was 14 feet 6 inches. After a few more casts it turned out to be one "sweet" rod. After looking around I found a knowledgeble gentlemen. Robert B Meiser. Thank you Bob for the chance to try out such a rod. Jerry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts