Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from the Margaree river, 2.5 days of fishing with no luck. Saw a few boils this morning but couldn't take advantage. Very windy at times and I stung myself several times even planting one under my nose, ouch. I was able to get it out thankfully.:chuckle:

·
Registered
184 Posts
nothing moving??

the ASF notes mentioned rain a few weeks ago, i was hoping for improvement

may be my rain/flood curse will be good news this year

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just got back from second weekend, landed a small salmon first thing on Friday. The fish are far and few between. Well at least I got one, first of the year. We need a lot of rain.

·
Registered
184 Posts
thanks for the update

it rained a bit today, not much, but every little bit helps,

·
Registered
263 Posts
Margaree

Right now the river needs at least a foot of water to be at a good level and 2 feet would even be better and needs to stay at that level for a week, the problem is we haven't had a whole lot of rain so when it does the river goes up and comes right back down again. I'm there in 5 weeks so praying for rain every 2 to 3 days...:chuckle:

Alan

·
Registered
184 Posts
fished for two days, not a strike. saw a few dark fish rolling but in the short time there I could see how the water level continued to drop.

I heard from a local about wells going dry. Also - according to the guide, the river has widened considerably since the 2010 flood, therefore the less than normal water has to cover more area, making it lower yet.

beautiful river and area, hope it can recover

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It still hasn't rained so I'm putting off my next trip to the "ree", maybe next week.

·
Registered
184 Posts
could be worse

insult to injury - poor guy probably didn't get a fish either

then this

Margaree – John Hart of the Margaree Salmon Association reports:

After the spate of water from a week ago, in Biblical parlance: “The waters have receded”..

There have been fresh fish showing at various parts of the river and the numbers of fish caught took a jump over the weekend. Of course these are from folks who fish alone with no witnesses. There seems to be less grumbling about numbers of late which may be attributed to any of a number of factors which includes the possibility that there ARE more fish being seen and hooked.

Pools which have seemed to start kicking out fish are Swimming Hole, Cemetery, Skye Lodge, Twin Elms to mention a few.

Seems the Dollar gave up a few over the weekend although the story is, not all were fairly hooked.

John Hart also talks about an Orvis Rod and Hardy Reel turned into roadkill:

Someone dropped a rod off their vehicle that was found on the road and has been run over more than once. An Orvis Trident, which has been crushed in at least 4 places, and a Hardy salmon reel that is also DOA…

The rod is a 9 foot 9 weight Orvis Trident TL, with “50th Anniversary, Atlantic Salmon Federation, #32 of 50″ just above the cork. I am sure the rod could be replaced under warranty. However, currently the only things salvageable in the outfit are the line, the backing, and the rod guides.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,327 Posts
Very windy at times and I stung myself several times even planting one under my nose, ouch. I was able to get it out thankfully.:chuckle:
Hi Pere,

I could have sent a PM but sometimes writing something in the open can be helpful to folks, so....... I understand how winds can make casting difficult but I wanted to say this to everyone anyway. I am not trying to be boastful in saying that I have never hooked myself in all these years of fly casting. Some would call me lucky and perhaps I am. However when I took up 2 hand casting I figured something out right away. (This is the part I wanted to say) Always be sure you know where that fly is at before you begin the final / delivery stroke. Always. If I find myself about to make the forward delivery stroke and I am not sure of where that fly is at I just shut the cast down. I'm quite sure that this habit / practice is the reason I don't hit or hook myself or my clothing.

Be careful and know where the fly is at.

Ard

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi Pere,

However when I took up 2 hand casting I figured something out right away. (This is the part I wanted to say) Always be sure you know where that fly is at before you begin the final / delivery stroke. Always. If I find myself about to make the forward delivery stroke and I am not sure of where that fly is at I just shut the cast down. I'm quite sure that this habit / practice is the reason I don't hit or hook myself or my clothing.

Be careful and know where the fly is at.

Ard
Ard- great advice, and it does belong it the public forum

I will not claim to be smart enough to have realized that myself, but the first instructor I had in Spey casting (and on the Spey) made a point of that. His emphatic STOP followed by an explanation of what was wrong and what was likely to happen made it clear to me that it was better to let the cast die there and not take a chance.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,327 Posts
Hi Wiscoy,

I'm not looking to hijack Pere's thread but since he mentioned a hook incident I thought it proper to shear what little I may have figured out. I'm not an instructor but many people do find it easier to toss large flies and sinking leaders with one of my 2 hand rods. If they want to stick with their own single hand rods I end up teaching Spey casts using the shorter rod. Because they are trying to follow this new technique that I am guiding them through I stress watching the fly so they don't get hurt.

Where we place that anchored line & fly are the very most important things. The anchor placement and your timing dictate whether or not we get a good cast and that placement also tells you whether that fly will spring up and strike your rod - hit your fly line on the way out. If it is behind or right in front of you when you make the forward stroke you better know what to expect.

Ard

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Boys don't feel you are hijacking this thread. I was just letting people know stuff. My fishing season has been very bad this year. With only one fish landed. The Atlantics are not as plentiful as they were and are just not coming up the rivers as there is a real lack of water. Because of the cost of fuel I'm not fishing as often.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts