Votes: 190 30.5%
  • bottom hand

Votes: 433 69.5%
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just in the last 2 weeks discovered a significant well of power and line speed. So now I'm needing to manage up to 50 feet of running line on a regular basis when I'm on a wide smooth flat.

So the question is after retrieving your running line, and sorting it however you do, do you hold it in your top hand or bottom hand? After close to 30 years of single hand, my left hand is pretty much on cruise control :strip 5 times hook with pinky, 4 times hook with 3rd, 3 times hook with middle, 2 times hook with index, cast.

So top hand or bottom hand?

·
Registered
202 Posts
It's funny, I was going to ask this question tonight.

I voted top hand. Not because I think it is better, but because I don't know any better. I usually hold the line with the index finger of my top hand. I drop the rest all over the ground. It usually ends up tangled around roots, grass, my feet, rocks. What ever is available.

Simon's Spey Casting book recommends a couple different methods. The strip 5 times hook with pinky, 4 times hook with 3rd, 3 times hook with middle, 2 times hook with index, cast method and the one loop in the middle so everything isn't hanging down stream method.

What's best for someone who realizes they are going to have to break a bad habit?

Is it worthing to get a stripping basket instead? Which one?

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
Not at all Geoff. Shooting line is the weakest part of my arsenal (and those that know me well know that there are a lot of weak parts :hihi: ). I usually fish mid and long bellied lines though so I'm not required to shoot a ton of line. When I'm shooting up to 10-12', I will hold it in my bottom hand. When I need to shoot more, I opt for the lips. Top hand still has the "pinch" though.

·
Registered
630 Posts
bottom hand with the biggest loops I can manage, when beyond 50' of running line the lips come into play and after that for real extreme casts I toss a few loops for the newf to hold as well. She doesn't always let go though so were working on that part. :hihi:

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
Bottom hand. I will usually hold only 2 loops of line and on rare occasions when shooting a lot of line 3 loops. I never seperate the loops between my fingers and I have very few if any issues with the line getting tangled during the shoot.

Reactions: Bob Budesa

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Upper hand

If I use the bottom hand it keeps things away from the reel and other stuff which is good.

I use the upper hand when I am lazy and things sometimes get tangled around the reel.

With the bottom hand I drop the line into a loop between my thumb and forfinger on the bottom hand which comes off the rod during the shoot. The finger loop This keeps everything away from everything and helps the line get out of the water easier and makes things shoot cleaner and farther with less effort.

This is exactly the technique I was taught by Bob Aid with a Single Hander shooting head system years ago. It is like having a big spinning rod guide helping the line get going.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bottom hand and only three (3) "rounds" max.
The first one You make is shortest, that way it doesnt sink that deep and then it gets just longer and longer...works well in fishing situations...for me :smokin:

Toni

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
When I first started out I used my upper hand but when I was fishing with Scott O'Donnell he suggested using the bottom hand and it has helped quite a bit. I also am one that uses my lips with a single handed rod and on occasion, especially if wading deep, with a two handed rod.

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Bottom hand. If I am shooting fifty feet of running line I would have three large loops. The key is good running line in my opinion.

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
Karuvaara said:
Bottom hand and only three (3) "rounds" max.
The first one You make is shortest, that way it doesnt sink that deep and then it gets just longer and longer...works well in fishing situations...for me :smokin:

Toni
Interesting. I do just the opposite. First one is the longest then get shorter. I go by number of strips. 5 strips hold loop, 4 strips hold loop, 3 strips etc.

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Loops

I completely agree with 3 loops, and getting longer as they go.

But most of all I agree with the choice of shooting line. I have seen more junky shooting line on peoples rods. Some makers build lovely lines and then have terrible running lines. I have taken folks who were ready to buy a different line out of frustration simply splice in a quality shooting line and become quite happy in a real hurry.

IMHO the best PVC shooting line out there is the Guidelines. Even the .028 does not kink or tangle and I use this small stuff even on some of the 9/10 rods. It comes in bigger diameters for those who wish it. If you would like to take some out for a test drive I have it available.

If you prefer the Guidelines Intermediate Flat Shooter in 50# is good stuff and will give you maximum shooting distance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
To KerryS: My idea has been that when I pull the runningline in this order the firts loop doesn´t sink that badly. The longest loop goes first, that would normally sink fast in runningwater. The last loop that is shortest ( 5 -7 pulls ) will give little bit drag.

This method has worked best for me , cause I use only flat beam type of runninglines ( GL Shooter by Guideline ), and this line is float/hover. It doest sink that mutch but will sink just lightly if it stays long period of time in water ( or in still water )

Speyman : Yes they are good, but I have never gone back to these PVC type runniglines after I got into these Sawada type shootinglines...they work the best for me. ;)

Toni

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
For those that use the mouth

Giardia is a real possibility in some of the waters we fish, so I no longer use that option for holding running line.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Holding shooting line

Interesting topic! BTW did you notice on the short segment that features the Syrstad brothers in Norway, Spey-o-rama 2005 DVD, that the shooting line just lies on the ground? Same on Henrik Mortensen's DVD. He just dumps it on the ground. I guess if you're standing in the water you'd like to pick it up so you don't have to overcome surface tension of the water film that holds the line back. But otherwise?
Tom.

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
Karuvaara said:
To KerryS: My idea has been that when I pull the runningline in this order the firts loop doesn´t sink that badly. The longest loop goes first, that would normally sink fast in runningwater. The last loop that is shortest ( 5 -7 pulls ) will give little bit drag.

This method has worked best for me , cause I use only flat beam type of runninglines ( GL Shooter by Guideline ), and this line is float/hover. It doest sink that mutch but will sink just lightly if it stays long period of time in water ( or in still water )

Toni
I think you may have just helped me solve an issue with my casting that has some what baffled me. At a little less then half way through the shoot during one of my typical cast I will have a small catch of line for lack of a better way to describe it. It doesn't do much other then casue a small wave in the line as it shoots out. I now think it is the first loop of line coming to an end and the second longer loop starting into the shoot that is causing this little hitch. Because I strip the longest loop first it woul have more time to sink and cause more drag as it is being pickup by the cast. I am going to reverse my loops the next time out and see if this doesn't solve my little problem.

It all seems like so much common sense now. Why can't I see this in the beginning?

1 - 20 of 121 Posts