Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,307 Posts
Hi Nate,

For the sake of comparison, do you have any idea what the flow was in cfs when we fished last fall? Just wondering how much lower things are.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,165 Posts
Ard - when you were here last Nov. 10, the Rogue was running just under 1400 CFS down by TouVelle park, where you and I were fishing. The lowest it's been over the past couple of days is 1560 CFS at the same spot. Now, I expect the influx of water from Butte Creek, etc (between the dam and TouVelle) is having a greater influence than up above to where Nate is referring, but down below, the river is higher than when you were here last fall.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Ard here's the water flow just north of Medford.

The start point, about 30 miles up stream, is half of this. http://waterdata.usgs.gov/or/nwis/uv/?site_no=14359000&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060

Reason (my guess) is we had a heck of a good rain early, like very early, this AM. So the feeder streams may have gotten a good soak, and God knows we needed it! Forecast doesn't have much on the menu.

Fishing conditions are 'Summer Run' so a rod over a 6wt is a tad over kill unless you're 'hucking' really big flies.

Fred

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,307 Posts
Thanks Fred,

I'm not boarding a plane today, it will be until late fall again because of things that need doing here. We are headed for an early breakup so I'm assembling rafts, changing oil and working on the river boat for the week. It won't be long, once my boats are ready I'm going fishing down south where the ice is not a factor.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Going to be interesting to see the dam out flows.

Thanks Fred,

I'm not boarding a plane today, it will be until late fall again because of things that need doing here. We are headed for an early breakup so I'm assembling rafts, changing oil and working on the river boat for the week. It won't be long, once my boats are ready I'm going fishing down south where the ice is not a factor.
Upper Rogue flows are (90%) based on what comes out of Wm. Jess Dam. Below that you have feeder streams and only a couple of other potential water inputs.

When the 'Spring Run' of Salmon starts, as well as the Fall, will be interesting to watch the numbers. Steelhead can handle low flows, Salmon I suspect not so much.

fae

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ard - when you were here last Nov. 10, the Rogue was running just under 1400 CFS down by TouVelle park, where you and I were fishing. The lowest it's been over the past couple of days is 1560 CFS at the same spot. Now, I expect the influx of water from Butte Creek, etc (between the dam and TouVelle) is having a greater influence than up above to where Nate is referring, but down below, the river is higher than when you were here last fall.
Bob the river was running 1100 at dodge yesterday, and 900 out of the dam( according to AHPS River gage), Ard, remember the Red Roof Hole? well there is dry land in the middle of the river there right now:eek: 50 cfs less at the top and I don't think you would get through the top of Pump house.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts