Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's been a while since I used this forum last time, because I have drifted away from Spey fishing toward saltwater.

I have two Mako reels, one 9550 TypeIII and one 9600B TypeIII, that I consider the best saltwater fly reels ever made, for sale. These are both right-hand-retrieve and from the early 2011, while Jack was still actively making them. Many of you probably know that the Mako production stalled for many months after his passing. I bought them shortly after Jack passed away, to give to my lefty son when he starts saltwater fishing. Well, he has learned to cast with the right-hand while watching me cast, and wants to use my Makos in the future. So, these RHR ones can go.

Prices are
9550 - $1290US (paypal) or $1200US (direct wire transfer into my bank in Japan)
9600B - $1665US (paypal) or $1550US (direct wire transfer into my bank in Japan)
These prices include EMS shipping with insurance from Japan to the USA or Canada. Please contact me if other destinations are desired. The discount with the direct transfer reflects the saving on the paypal fee and currency conversion fee. Please note that the prices are firm. I am not willing to discount at the current exchange rate. I am not interested in a trade either, since I have WAY too many reels and rods already.

They are both new. The 9550 has been sitting in its original sealed box. The 9600B has been taken out of the box several times, but has never seen a line on it or been mounted on a reel seat. They are beautiful. They have an amazing drag system, which is probably an overkill for most steelhead and salmon. But, hey, it's good to have a superior drag to reduce the time to bring the fish in before they get exhausted, I would say. The drag goes from about 0.5 pound to 14 pounds for the 9550, and 0.5 pounds to 17 pounds for the 9600B, with their spools half full. I calibrate the drag strength with just the backing line on and put marks on the drag knob and the reel frame at an every pound increment. By doing so, I can adjust the drag while I'm playing the fish with a rough estimate on the tension at the end of the tippet. This does come handy when I want to shorten the time to bring the fish in. Please check with the Mako site for the weight and line capacity information.

The retieve hand conversion can be done by the Mako for a fee. When I asked about it a few years ago, I was told the fee was $75. If you live in the USA or Canada, the shipping cost won't be too bad, I think.

Their photos via private messages are available. Please contact me if you are interested.

Thanks.

Moto

·
Registered
512 Posts
Makos...

Moto-san is great to work with on these reel transactions.
Best of luck to all on this.

Tom

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Moto was great to deal with and WOW those Mako's are GORGEOUS! I cant wait to put it to work!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts