Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Making MORE room in the bookcase

Hey all,

Bookcase needed a little thinning out. Sold off a bunch, and decided to make more room for other books we're planning to add to our collection.
All books are in (most) excellent to (some) very good condition and are priced accordingly. Many appear as though they haven’t been read.
All prices shown are shipped to CONUS. Will need to determine price for Canadian shipping - PM your Canadian location to me and I'll get back to you. PayPal please.

New Hampshire Fishing Maps
Charlton J. Swansey & Donald A. Wilson - Soft Cover - $8.00

Sex, Death and Fly Fishing
John Gierach - Soft Cover - $8.00

Fly Fisher's Guide to New Mexico
Van Beacham - Soft Cover - $8.00

Fifty Favorite Fly Fishing Tales
Chris Santella -- Hard Cover -- $12.00

Fly Fishing!#@%&*! (Cartoons)
John Troy - Soft Cover - $7.00

LL Bean Fly Fishing Handbook
Dave Whitlock - Soft Cover - $7.00

New England White Water River Guide
Ray Gabler - Soft Cover - $7.00

Sport Fish of the Gulf of Mexico
Vic Dunanway - Soft cover - $8.00

Blues
John Hershey -- Hard Cover -- $8.00

Thanks for looking...

FF

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Need to make EVEN MORE space...

Just revamped the original post in order to remove previously sold titles, and to add some new ones. Thanks for looking

FF

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
If you have anything to do with 'open water boating' ...

This IS the book you need.

Chapman Piloting, Seamanship & Boat Handling (63rd Edition)
Elbert S. Maloney - Hard Cover - $20.00

Even if you don't own a sail or power boat this is one of those books you could open to any page and truly learn something. Purchased my first copy at age 17 and sat for my Coast Guard Marine Pilot's examination on my 18th birthday (already had the year's verified 'sea time'**). Blew through all five (or six?) sections of the examination in about 4 hours ..... almost 'aced' each and every. The reason was the above book, I was really 'ready.'

My favorite question (the Chief's make it up as they go along so no way could you 'cheat') was (to the effect) 'What equipment would you use to fight a poison gas fire on board ship?' Had to get out of my chair and ask 'Is the fire above or below decks?'

'Doesn't matter.'

'The hell is doesn't!!!!' (It really does.)

'OK, tell me how you'd do it both ways.'

I did, and a 'How old are you?'

'18 today.'

Fred

** As to the 'sea time' the Sea Scouts and neighbor across the street who was the Captain of a Foss Tug that ran from Seattle to as far north as Pt. Barrow (think that's right), Alaska. He/Mom 'lied' about my 'age' and I got hired to be a deck hand at age 15. Well, a deck hand is an over kill statement. I was the Cook's helper. You wanted coffee and a sandwich at 0300 it was my butt that got kicked out of the rack. Actually it turned into a regular duty station. Can't speak for now, but back my 'yut turned out I had extraordinary night vision. If it had a light on it, I could see it 4 - 5'ish miles away.

Worst case were Gill netters that could have upwards of 1,800 feet of net strung out. (Memory here only) Only lights they had to display was two whites off the fishing boat and one (colman type lantern?) off the end of the net. You ran over one of those with a tow and you were in DEEP SHIP!

Heard of one 'Nuc-Boomer' that did. Apparently (so story went) he had to come up to do a 'flash transmission' and ran right into the middle of one of those things. Story goes he sat on the surface for three days cutting the Boat free. I can believe, and not a good thing given what these folks did for a living. Fishing boats just sitting there with engines off (nothing to hear) and the old wood ones had a radar cross section of a Bat.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Fred,

You're spot on... this book was a great help to me. I read it cover to cover a couple of times to absorb as much as I could before I took my guide's exam. Great book! Just that it's quite large, and takes up the space that three steelhead titles would take. :hihi:

FF

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Hear you, but I'd never sell mine. I'd just get a bigger book case.
:smokin:

Bit of an add on to my story above. Wasn't long after that the Coast Guard required stationary fishing boats to hang a 6" - 12" Allie bar thing (round with criss-coss plates up/down the middle) for a radar reflector. The 6" one's gave off a good radar bounce, a 12" one made you look like a super tanker on the 'scope.'

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'll take this one:

Sending a PM too.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
I'll take this one:

Sending a PM too.
Best twenty dollars you've ever spent. Sit in your commfie chair with a reading lamp next to you. Open to any page and a thousand years of boating knowledge at your finger tips.

My Coast Guard Pilot's License long since expired (ships up to 350 tonnes), but I try to 'keep up.' And think back to 'the day.' Greatest day (not the Pilot, just #2 writing his verbal notes) was on an Aircraft Carrier sailing up Puget Sound/Straights of JF.

Probably repeating myself, but three of my 'Mentors' had Pilot Tickets for 'Any vessel, any where.' All were 'Captains' on Sea Scout ships which is how I got to meet them.

Banker type in a 3 piece suit and a bag of clothing change under my desk. Phone call, 'We need help and we've all got assigned ships, are you free?'

Most exciting was (waaaaaay over my tonnage limit) was a 'Boomer' coming out of the base at Bangor, WA. Captain was not to pleased to see a 20 some year old walk on board.

'Captain, if I may suggest, (you couldn't give "orders") a course of xyz at 10 knots, in about 30 minutes you may consider a course change to abc, that will .... etc.

Word got around that 'The Kid' knows what the hells he's talking about.

Bless Rainier Bank Mortgage, a need to dash, never a blink.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shutting this thread down as it's getting a little long, and I've started a new one called "Making room in the bookcase (again)". Will delete this one in a couple of days. Thanks,

Rick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts