Spey Pages banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Very good.
Leonards, Hardy and Payne rods often had wood sheathes under the cork to which the metal sleeve were attached/ secured, some with threads others not.
My vintage fittings tend to be mostly tapered 'tubes' requiring some 'padding out'. Here is one I am working on at the moment- the tapered sleeve will be held fast using one tiny brass screw into the beech wood sleeve, just in case I need to dismantle later..
Amazing how many variations there are of the humble rod 'button', note the Crook Butt, from 1909..

Malcolm.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
In my humble opinion, quality penmanship to identify and sign a completed bamboo rod gives it that personal touch of quality.
For those who attest that their handwriting style is lacking -where there is a will, it is quite possible to learn and improve.
I take my personal rod inking style, spiralling up the flats, from Hardy rods, most were written by Cath Pearson who, using a 'dip' pen and ink, worked at Hardy's Alnwick factory for almost 50 years, before retiring in 2003.

It appears to me that a young Cath Pearson is shown briefly at 2.15 in the rod shop, in the following old film about the firm, which I am guessing would be from the early 50's. I suspect that the close up of signing a rod in that same film, at 2.20, may well be the hands of Ms Pearson; indeed the older hands, signing, from the 1999 Hardy catalogue appears to be very similar, in any case hers is an interesting story.

Malcolm

Article credit: Classic Angling magazine (UK) July 2003 written by Keith Elliot.

Newspaper Publication News Font Material property

Newspaper Publication News Font Material property

Attachments

·
Drags are for Sissys
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Heads Up. A book written by arguably the greatest living maker of our time. 20+ years in the making. Along with being beautifully put together the book contains information on the evolution of Powell's hollowing by living makers. The keys to modern hollowing are in here too. Get this book if you enjoy reading about bamboo rods, makers, bamboo rod history, biographies etc.

Wood Publication Rectangle Font Book

41 - 43 of 43 Posts